Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: January 16th, 2012, 8:19 pm 

From the Facebook group "SHARP X68000 CLUB":

"I just wanted to let you all know that myself and a friend have started to produce an adapter to use a PS/2 Keyboard on an FM77AV. The prototype is built, my FM77AV40SX should arrive in the next few days, and then I can test it. From what we know so far things should work just fine. We have all the scancodes, the timings and the pinouts, the adapter has been produced although right now we have only set it up to send the letter A for every keypress just to make sure the timings are workable. The adapter has been tested on a logic analyzer and it does send the scancodes properly at the right timing, so it's just a matter of if the computer responds to the codes. If it does, then it's just a few small tweaks to the code and it's ready for production. I would like to know if anyone out there would like to buy one. It will let you use a PS/2 keyboard with any FM77AV series machine, from the original FM77AV all the way to the SX series, since even though the SX series uses a different keyboard from the rest, they are still electrically compatible. Let me know if anyone has one of these machines and would like to get on the list for one of these adapters."

Awesome, giving the difficulties on finding a working keyboard if yours happen to be broken. The guy expects a response from people interested in the adapter, so I thought about posting it here. (Where else? :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2012, 7:53 pm 

Great news I hope he win to make this adapter it will be a verry good news for my fm-77 av40SX ^^.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2012, 11:13 pm 

Update:

Ok everyone! An update for you all on the FM77AV PS/2 keyboard adapter! The current firmware has been tested and it works! Right now a-z, 0-9, and a few symbols are working. The next firmware will include the complete keyset. After the next firmware is completed, we will make a run of boards and start selling immediately. I would like to know who here has an FM77AV and is interested in buying one of these adapters. Keep in mind even if you have a keyboard for your FM77AV it is still wise to buy one of these, since the FM77AV keyboards are very well known for breaking randomly.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 7:22 am 

wushu wrote:
Update:

Ok everyone! An update for you all on the FM77AV PS/2 keyboard adapter! The current firmware has been tested and it works! Right now a-z, 0-9, and a few symbols are working. The next firmware will include the complete keyset. After the next firmware is completed, we will make a run of boards and start selling immediately. I would like to know who here has an FM77AV and is interested in buying one of these adapters. Keep in mind even if you have a keyboard for your FM77AV it is still wise to buy one of these, since the FM77AV keyboards are very well known for breaking randomly.

I just noticed that there is already a post for this, after I already made another one. I am one of the 2 people in on this project. The new firmware is in and working that includes the enter key. The next one will include the full keymap in the following layout:

galine2 wrote:
Great news I hope he win to make this adapter it will be a very good news for my fm-77 av40SX ^^.

I'm very glad to hear that you are interested. I will let you know a price once we have the boards in and know how much our expenses are. If you are the owner of an FM77AV40SX, maybe you would also be interested in another project I am working on. I am preparing an install DVD you can use to set up the ultimate disk writing station by installing DOS 7.10 (optionally with Windows for Workgroups 3.11), Windows 98SE and Windows XP SP3 in a TRUE triple boot configuration (not just Windows 98 booting in DOS mode) as well as every piece of software you need to write floppies for just about every classic computer as well use these operating systems to their full potential. To not violate any copyrights, the image is distributed without any OS files. You need to have Windows XP and Windows 98SE as either disks or image files. You run an executable and the image will be completed with files from your two OS disks. Anyone who has experimented with disk writing for classic computers will know that you require access to all three of these operating systems to reliably write disks for these machines. Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated on both projects as they progress.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2013, 2:02 pm 

Hi!

I am very interested in this project. Would love to buy one of these adapters - or build one myself from parts.

-R

PostPosted: June 5th, 2014, 2:07 pm 

TheRogue wrote:
[...] maybe you would also be interested in another project I am working on. I am preparing an install DVD you can use to set up the ultimate disk writing station by installing DOS 7.10 (optionally with Windows for Workgroups 3.11), Windows 98SE and Windows XP SP3 in a TRUE triple boot configuration (not just Windows 98 booting in DOS mode) as well as every piece of software you need to write floppies for just about every classic computer as well use these operating systems to their full potential. To not violate any copyrights, the image is distributed without any OS files. You need to have Windows XP and Windows 98SE as either disks or image files. You run an executable and the image will be completed with files from your two OS disks. Anyone who has experimented with disk writing for classic computers will know that you require access to all three of these operating systems to reliably write disks for these machines. Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated on both projects as they progress.

Anyone knows if this project was realised? He does not read his PM's, so I am not able to ask him myself, but I would really like the install DVD he talks about.