Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 4:22 pm 

At first I thought it's only WinX68k problem. But then I've tried XM6 (many different versions like "i" or "TypeG") and nothing changed. On WinX68k DIM files are usually ejected from virtual drive as soon as the emulator tries to save something to them or there is a typical system error message (abort, retry, ignore). Other formats (XDF or NFD for example) stays in drive but still nothing is saved. Tested on Aquales (it should save before the levels), Akazukin Cha Cha Cha (error message while trying to save scores), or Etoile Princesse (user floppy is formatted without any problems, of course only if it's not DIM, but nothing is saved). There are no problems with saving to HDF files, games are installing without any problems. Due to this strange circumstances many games behave very strangely - for example Battle Unit II. I think it tries to save something to floppy image after starting the game, but it can't. Then it shows a message in japanese and... the outro and credits starts to roll.
Can anybody help me with that? Maybe I'm once again missing some BIOS or something is not right with my emulated machine (not the emulator options!) settings?
There is also this old problem...

Last edited by cpt. Misumaru Tenchi on January 5th, 2012, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 3:18 pm 

I just tested it with Alshark, try and report if this disk works with other games please.
http://www.multiupload.com/U1010AZNUV

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 6:22 pm 

Thanks for your reply. Alshark is saving, but hangs up after every load (doesn't matter if there were reset or it's the same run). Other games still behave the same way: for example Etoile Princess can only format it, but nothing is saved. I think I'm going to give up and continue to use savestates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 7:11 pm 

Here's my Win68k folder with the ini, if that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas for now.
http://www.multiupload.com/TOD75R42E0

Saving also works me with Akazukin Cha Cha Cha, provided the disk has been converted to XDF format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 7:44 pm 

Have just finished testing everything with your pack without changing anything. We've got a funny situation here, because it's still not working. I really don't know what's causing this, it's hopeless. I'm giving up, at least I have savestates. But thank you very much for your concern, time and help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 7:50 pm 

Just a guess, but what about permissions? Are you running the emulator with administrator privileges? If it's not a configuration issue, then it probably is a permission issue. (Writing to files)

It could happen most notably on post-Windows XP machines.

Also, double-check the "Read only" attribute on the floppy images.. It happened to me more than once..

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 8:11 pm 

Yes, I'm the administrator of the system, all other software including emulators save everything like it should. And of course floppy images aren't write protected, this was the first thing I've checked. Very, very, very strange situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2012, 7:32 am 

Sorry for double posting, but I've found something new about my problem. The thing is WinX68k actually saves to floppies... sometimes. All DOS based operations are saved (formatting the disk, copying or deleting its content). Games can also format the floppy (tested on Etoile Princesse and today on Dios), but they still can't save anything (tested with lots of them) and I still don't know why...