Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 7:16 pm 

...to start a second game? For example Dig Dug I & II or Crazy Climber I & II were released this way. I think I should keep pressing a key during boot, but I can't figure out which one.

Last edited by cpt. Misumaru Tenchi on December 6th, 2011, 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2011, 12:05 am 

When loading a game hold the key 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2011, 1:13 am 

Once again thanks al32gabby, you've saved me from trouble of checking every key one by one. I was trying rather to google it than check (I suspected a few of X68k "native" keys), but unfortunately couldn't find any clues at english sites. It's very unconvenient to not know japanese when you have a hobby like ours...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2011, 5:11 am 

cpt. Misumaru Tenchi wrote:
It's very unconvenient to not know japanese when you have a hobby like ours...

Tell me about it! The sad part is that my free time is unexistant.. I want to take japanese lessons someday.. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 2:03 pm 

cpt. Misumaru Tenchi wrote:
Once again thanks al32gabby, you've saved me from trouble of checking every key one by one. I was trying rather to google it than check (I suspected a few of X68k "native" keys), but unfortunately couldn't find any clues at english sites. It's very unconvenient to not know japanese when you have a hobby like ours...

Alternatively, put the disk in the second drive, Drive 1, and then boot up.

I've written these instructions up on my website:
http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~debiddo/mygames.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 3:53 pm 

Yes, now I know both methods - I've found your site not long after al32gabby's response. Lots of really interesting informations about handling games - for example I didn't know about holding shift while booting After Burner II to load it fully to RAM, or the trick to enable GM sound in Akumajou Dracula. Also thanks to you now I know how to prepare hard disk drives (images in my case, as I'm using an emulator) for installing games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 1:06 am 

No problem, I have lots of tricks I haven't uploaded. After the tsunami I had to move away and I set up a new Internet account under my wife's name, so I'm not sure if I can even access the FTP server anymore.

Anyway, here are some more tips and tricks for you, I've just copied them over from another forum I posted them in.

I still need to verify more tricks I know, and also write up about how to enable SRAM etc. on the Video Anthology Games. Did you know that there are updated versions of some games on later releases?

While everyone (well, everyone who has read the manual and hasn't just downloaded it) knows that Gradius II has the real arcade mode hidden but documented, what's not documented is the arcade test mode. Enable it by holding down F4 while booting (at the same time as holding down the button to enable arcade mode)

For those of you with machines with 2MB of RAM or more, holding down the Shift key while loading After Burner will load the entire game into memory.

Kyuukyoku Tiger can be controlled with the mouse. Hold down F2 while booting to enable it.

You can start on any level in R-Type. Select the level you want to play from the DEMO option, and then start the game while holding down the S, T, A, G, and E keys.

Akumajou Dracula has an extra undocumented MIDI option. For GM, press XF1 and G together on the MIDI selection screen.

Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh has a 15KHz mode which is undocumented. Hold down the OPT1 key while booting to enable it.

Try setting the internal clock to between midnight and 1:00 AM and then boot up either Dragon Spirit or Garou Densetsu, check if you can see and hear what's different.

On the title screen of Marchen Maze, press Shift and HELP together to access the options screen, allowing you among other things to select the Arcade version. Bonus trick: Start the game with Disk B in Drive 0 and Disk A in drive 1 to activate PCM sound.

Fantasy Zone includes the undocumented Fantasy Zone 3D - hold down the Shift, CTRL and HELP keys together when booting to activate it.

From the Pac-Mania title screen, press F5 to redefine the keys. Redefine them to X,6,8,0,0,0 and make sure to use the numeric keypad. Exit by pressing Esc and you'll automatically enter the hidden options screen. Bonus game: The original Pac-Man is included, run the pac.bat batch file in the PACMAN folder.

Here are some more secrets and hidden features for X68000 games I have. I meant to write them up ages ago but didn't get around to it. I've tried to verify everything here so they should all work with a real machine. I don't know if they'll work on an emulator, I doubt Fantasy Zone 3D does for a start. I still have many more that I need to verify before I can be sure abou them. Still trying to get Space Harrier to work with a mouse. Also I had written up a nice piece on getting SRAM to save games on the Video Game Anthology series but it got deleted. I still have the screenshots though so I'll try to get that sorted.

Fantasy Zone
In my first post I described how to start Fantasy Zone 3D while booting. It can also be started from the command line, and there are some other hidden features in this game. I don't have 3D glasses to try out the 3D effects, has anyone had a go?

So, let's have a look at command line options. First, boot the game in Drive 1 (not 0) and you'll be returned to a command prompt.

Insert the Fantasy Zone disk into Drive 0.

To activate the options, type "A:FZBOOT XX" where XX is one of the following options:
24 :- activates 24kHz mode
opaopa=n :- number of lives, range is between 1 and 5
rank=n :- difficulty level, range is 0-3
price=n :- price of an Opa Opa, range is 0-3
jpn :- use the Japanese soundtrack
arrange :- use the arranged soundtrack
3D :- enable Fantasy Zone 3D
continue :- enable continuing
save :- enable high score saving

So example commands would be "fzboot -24", "fzboot -rank=3" and so on. By the way, most of these can be changed in-game. 3D mode is an exception.

Similarly, following the same procedure as above, enter "A:FZMAIN debug" (instead of "A:FZBOOT XX")to start the game with a reduced display size. Looks bizarre. You can cycle through to normal mode with the [HELP] key.

To fast forward through the super play, hold down the CTRL key.

The method of accessing the Space Harrier level (Dragon Land) is well documented, so I don't think I need to mention it here.

Motos
On Christmas Eve and New Year's Day different opening music is played. Also, for an arranged soundtrack, instead of loading the game from drive 0, load it from drive 1. If you turn on the 「ひらがな」「全角」「INS」「CAPS」「コード入力」「ローマ字」「かな」 keys within the config screen, you can select a special SARU mode, which is easier than the EASY mode.

Bosconian
To advance to the next stage, press the Q, E, T and U keys together while playing the game. If you turn the code key on, you'll hear an echo of the sampled voice.

Full Throttle
There's a debug mode present within Full Throttle, but enabling it isn't straightforward. First you have to create a text file on disk A called FTH.DBG, and within that file enter the desired attributes. Here are the parameters:
Pass Word = 大西結花
Debug Mode = OFF/ON
Display Mode = High
Nitro Stock = 3
Timer Count = 070
BGM Test = OFF
Sound Test = OFF
No Hit = OFF
Continue = 0
Select = OFF
Level = 5
Sound Type = 0

The Pass Word has to be set to 大西結花 to enable the debug mode at all. To enter the four kanji, enable code entry by pressing the code key, and the four codes you need are 4267, 403E, 376B, 3256

Turning on Debug Mode allows you to see how much memory is being used when the game is loading.

If the Display Mode is set to High, the frequency is 31KHz, Low gives 15KHz

Nitro stock has a range from 0 to 9

Timer Count has a range from 000 to 999 (all three digits are necessary)

BGM Test and Sound Test, when turned on, allow you to run their test modes - press ESC during the game and then the 1-8 and A-S keys to try them out

Turning No Hit on makes you invincible

Continue allows you to continue the game, the number of continues can be set from 0 to 9

Turning Select on allows you to select the stage. In order to enable it you have to turn on the appropriate Kana, Code Input and Romaji keys:
Stage 1: all off
Stage 2: Code Input on
Stage 3: Romaji on
Stage 4: Code Input and Romaji both on
Stage 5: Kana on

Level
The range is 0 to 9

Sound Type
Four versions of the music can be chosen, the range is 0 to 3.

Puyo Puyo
To enable Tokoton Puyo Puyo mode, at the title screen push the second player's controller to the bottom left and press F1.

The Fairyland Story
To see the staff credits, turn Continue off on the options screen, start a game and when the Game Over message appears, press the A and B buttons on your joystick at the same time.

Phalanx
For some hardcore hentai action, boot the Opening disk. When the NOTICE screen appears, hold down the Y, U, K, O keys and XXX's skirt will fall off.

There's a hidden stage too. Crash into what looks like a red window and you'll be warped through.

On the configuration screen, the following commands can be entered for their respective effects:
AKICHANSUKI Stage Select
SUGOINO Invincibility
FUERUNO Increase your number of lives

For these to work, you have to hold down the first key, and then the second together, then take your finger off the first key and press the third and so on. So for the first cheat you'd hold A and K, then K and I, then I and C and so on.

Parodius
There's a sound driver test mode on Disk A. Run SD_DRV.X from the command line. As the program tells you, pressing Space progresses to the next piece and ESC will end the program.

For fun, try holding down the following keys while the game boots:
K, 6, 8 : one for the MSX fans I'm guessing
[SPACE]
[HOME], G, 2

Detana!! Twinbee
This has a music mode like Parodius. Run SD_DRV.BAT from the command line.

Pressing [ESC] in-game and then F3 enables a pseudo-vertical mode.

If you have more than 2MB of memory, hold down [HELP] while booting to load the entire game into memory.

Baraduke
On the high score table, enter your name as JUNKO, KISSY or TAKKY and observe the result.

The NewZealand Story
To activate Debug Mode, hold down the [UNDO] key while booting. While playing the game, try out the following "features" using the keys indicated:

F1: change your weapon (cycles through them)
F2: control the balloon you're riding on
F3: increase the speed of your jumps
F4: become invincible
F5: freezes the enemies
F6: kills all enemies on screen
F7: sends you to the end of the round
F8: makes enemies riding on balloons fall off
ESC: pauses the game, you can then use the left/right controls to select the round

Naious
On the title screen, hold down [CTRL] and the W, I, N, K keys and you can select any stage from 1 to 7.

Chuka Taisen
Another debug mode. Hold down the 記号 key while booting, and during the game use these keys for the given effects.
F6: kill all enemies
F7: change your speed
F8: change the level
F9: change the magic power you currently have
F10: turn invincibilty on/off
[UNDO]: end the current stage

Gemini Wing
Infinite continues: on the title screen, hold down the G, E, M, I, N keys at the same time and you'll be told you have 9 continues. In reality, they should be infinite.

Gemini Wing also has a vertical mode, hold down F7 while the game is booting. Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to rotate the monitor.

I'll post some more tricks if you like, though I have to test them first. There's a program on the After Burner disk that allows the use of the mouse or analogue joysticks with Space Harrier, but I can't get it to work on my real machine, just on an emulator, which is driving me bananas.

Something else I've been doing this week is patching up my games. Some games don't work properly at speeds above 10MHz, or on 68030s, so I've been patching them to work, and generally they've worked really well. I need some support files for other patches though, and I can't find them. There's a patch to allow the use of MegaDrive controllers with Gradius II - so you can play it exactly as in the arcade, with three buttons, but I can't find the MegaDrive driver anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 3:26 am 

Maaan, thanks a lot for all the infos and tricks, I see a few new ones here. I'm going to test them slowly one by one while checking and finishing the games (currently I'm at letter B). If you have more of them and want/can post them, then please do so - everything will be greatly appreciated. And maybe you even can help us with Y2? Please take a look at this thread when you'll have a spare moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 3:56 am 

That's an impressive list, an_turtar! Thanks for sharing those tricks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 4:25 am 

an_turtar wrote:
There's a patch to allow the use of MegaDrive controllers with Gradius II - so you can play it exactly as in the arcade, with three buttons, but I can't find the MegaDrive driver anywhere.

I thought Megadrive controllers had only a slightly different pinout than the X68000 controller (By default 1 button works, changing the pinout enables 6 buttons)

However this is solved using a simple adaptor (or a simple wire mod), and doesn't need drivers to my knowledge, at least external ones. (If any, it should be present in Street fighter II' images, SFII uses 6 buttons for sure.)

Diagrams from GameSX:

Controller mod
Pinouts

Of course, you can make an adaptor instead of butchering your controller wires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 4:34 am 

wushu wrote:
an_turtar wrote:
There's a patch to allow the use of MegaDrive controllers with Gradius II - so you can play it exactly as in the arcade, with three buttons, but I can't find the MegaDrive driver anywhere.

I thought Megadrive controllers had only a slightly different pinout than the X68000 controller (By default 1 button works, changing the pinout enables 6 buttons)

However this is solved using a simple adaptor (or a simple wire mod), and doesn't need drivers to my knowledge, at least external ones. (If any, it should be present in Street fighter II' images, SFII uses 6 buttons for sure.)

Diagrams from GameSX:

Controller mod
Pinouts

Of course, you can make an adaptor instead of butchering your controller wires.

I have both the SFII adaptor and the Chelnov adaptor, so that's not the problem. The file I need patches the Gradius II code so that it allows three buttons to be used, the program as it is assumes the use of only two. I'll keep looking around for it, I haven't used my X68000 for a month or so. I'm mostly buying the arcade PCB versions of the X68000 games, and then selling them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 6:05 am 

Oh, I understand. You should try asking on irc, #x68000 on EFnet, *maybe* someone there knows about it.

Should you find it, please share! I am interested in how that functionality is achieved.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 8:51 pm 

Nemesis '90 may also be set to 15 KHZ by pressing HELP - at least it's possible in the TOSEC dump I have. Wouldn't exclude the possibility that there are some not so obvious hacks in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 10:12 pm 

an_turtar wrote:
While everyone (well, everyone who has read the manual and hasn't just downloaded it) knows that Gradius II has the real arcade mode hidden but documented, what's not documented is the arcade test mode. Enable it by holding down F4 while booting (at the same time as holding down the button to enable arcade mode)

Excuse me, but which key do I need to hold down to enable the arcade mode? F4 only enables its test mode, if I understand correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 9:05 am 

From the manual:

F1: Player 1 Start
F2: Player 2 Start
F3: Insert Coin (Arcade Mode only)
F4: Enter Configuration Options (X68000 Mode only)
F5: Enter Sound Options (X68000 Mode only)
F6: Switch between 15/31kHz
F7: Cancel Continue (i.e. end the game)

F8: Boot from hard disk
F9: Enable 2MB RAM mode
F10: Boot into Arcade Mode

The last three options have to be enabled while booting. You can select more than one at a time. So for the Arcade Test Mode I mentioned the user has to hold down F4 and F10 at the same time when booting.

These options work on a real machine, I don't know if an emulator will allow multiple key presses at the same time.