Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2011, 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

That kinda wouldn't surprise me, PC-98 was the standard business computer, hence the enormous market share.

We consider them on the same base but the X68000 was more gamer - graphic design oriented, you wouldn't find one at your local store accounting office.

Just my two cents though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2011, 4:51 pm 

I'm sure you could find them at any standard store though - there are TV ads for it that were uploaded to youtube.

And on a side note:
I downloaded Lyrical Party for the X68000. A platformer RPG a bit like Popful Mail. Is it supposed to not have any sound? Because I get sound effects but no music. :(

Also, is Baruusa No Fukushuu exclusive to the X68000? It seems to be. I can't work out if it's awesome or awful though. Weird side-scrolling RPG, a bit like Ys III meets Shadow of the Beast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 12:01 am 

Sketcz wrote:
What are other systems were there? I wasn't even aware of Toshiba being that prominent - if I had been asked prior to reading this paper I would have said Sharp was bigger than Toshiba in the PC market.

Toshiba was quite successful in the business realm. Toshiba had their Pasopia series in the early 1980s, which isn't that exciting honestly, but they quickly switched over to making IBM PC compatibles, particularly laptops.

It's a bit of a shock to think that the X68 had less than 5.2% market share, but that statistic might be true. The X68 always had more mindshare than actual sales, and a very small but strong community of computer geeks developed around it. On the other hand, the X68 had no real business presence at all, which may be why the PAC111 paper doesn't pay much attention to it.

Quote:
Also, is Baruusa No Fukushuu exclusive to the X68000?

Yep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 1:30 pm 

I see, most interest. Thank you.

Additionally, I had another look at our joint venture with the HG101 article, and I can't recall who added the text regarding the design of the X68000 intentionally being made to look like the Manhattan skyline. I think you wrote that, but without checking my old drafts I can't remember. Is there a source for this?

I actually found a contact at Sharp Japan and asked this question, to a Motoki-san, though whether he'll get back to me regarding my questions is another matter. Fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 11:01 pm 

The X68's case design is literally called the "Manhattan shape" (マンハッタンシェイプ). I'm not sure where this term originated, but it has existed for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2011, 1:50 pm 

Sketcz wrote:
A research paper, titled PAC111 and circa 1996, examines the Japanese computer market ......

If anyone was interested the .pdf can be found here:

http://www.crito.uci.edu/papers/1996/PAC-111.PDF

Looks an interesting read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 11:52 am 

Apologies Oli for not getting back to your PM - I didn't hear back and don't always check back here. I've since replied. :)

If anyone ever urgently needs to contact me, I'm staff on Hardcore Gaming 101's forum, and check most days. I know several from here, such as Trickless and Kobushi, frequent there as well.

I should post here more often, since I've always felt this forum and the main site, and what it represents, tends to be overlooked, but the forum seems slightly broken when I click to find previous posts (it brings up a debug screen). Perhaps being tucked away out of mainstream view is better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 12:20 pm 

Sketcz wrote:
Apologies Oli for not getting back to your PM - I didn't hear back and don't always check back here. I've since replied. :)

If anyone ever urgently needs to contact me, I'm staff on Hardcore Gaming 101's forum, and check most days. I know several from here, such as Trickless and Kobushi, frequent there as well.

I should post here more often, since I've always felt this forum and the main site, and what it represents, tends to be overlooked, but the forum seems slightly broken when I click to find previous posts (it brings up a debug screen). Perhaps being tucked away out of mainstream view is better?

Sometimes you can get an error message and have to reload the adress, but that's realy the extent of problems I've personaly encountered with the site, aside from the broken search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 9:57 pm 

Sketcz wrote:
I should post here more often

You should! We can have another fun day of tracking down obscure Japanese game developers :lol: