Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Disk Explorer Help
PostPosted: August 7th, 2011, 8:57 am 

I'm using Disk Explorerv1.69 to extract the files from a x68k .xdf image but there's one file marked as <VOL> which won't extract.I get the message "File extracted OK" but the destination directory remains blank. All the other files and folders extract OK.
What do I need to do to extract the <VOL>?
Also when I make a hdd image with Winx68k or XM6, how do I partition it so that I can then open the hdd image in Disk Explorer and import files to it?
And are there any tools to convert SCSI image to SASI image?
I can get XM6 to boot from SCSI using a Masterdisk but I can't work out how to do it in Winx68k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2011, 11:43 am 

And while we're on the subject... what utility do I need to write floppy images back to real physical floppy disks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 7:41 pm 

<VOL> obviously stands for Volume Label. It's not a file.

What's the point in converting a SCSI image to a SASI image? Can't you just copy the files from one image to the other? Seems definitely easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 9:04 pm 

wushu wrote:
<VOL> obviously stands for Volume Label. It's not a file.

What's the point in converting a SCSI image to a SASI image? Can't you just copy the files from one image to the other? Seems definitely easier.

Thanks- I'm forgetting my DOS aren't I :D So how can I recreate the Volume Label in a new disk image using Disk Explorer?
And yeah- I'm also forgetting that these are emulations of physical hdds. I can't get Winx68kHighspeed to boot from SCSI only SASI so I thought to convert the image but if I can simply copy the files from the SCSI to the SASI then that's even easier!
I read somewhere that Winx68k can't boot SCSI's at all, surely not cos XM6 has no problem with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 2:22 am 

mjclark wrote:
So how can I recreate the Volume Label in a new disk image using Disk Explorer?

Most of the time there's no need to label the disks. Anyway..

The Volume Label is not always present. If present, however, you can "rename" it (since DiskExplorer lists it as a file anyway). If it isn't present you can add it, remember that these images are emulating real disks, and as such you can edit the volume label with whatever utility you see fit for the task. (IBM-PC DOS command "label" comes to mind. Dunno if it's the same on X68000). I haven't found a way to add a volume label using DiskExplorer.