Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: YouTube Videos
PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 2:20 pm 

There's a fair few vids on YouTube for x68k, PC98 and FM Towns but I couldn't find one for Otaku Dama so I uploaded this one myself:

http://youtu.be/GUuIGxR8tlc

It was only by seeing the vids for Zero Master Striker and Zero Rei that I even found out those games existed so I guess YouTube can be a valuable resource for this stuff eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 6:16 pm 

Terrible sound :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 8:01 pm 

al32gabby wrote:
Terrible sound :?

You should hear the sound if I use CamStudio instead of Camtasia!
Anyway,glad you liked it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 9:25 pm 

It's Otoko Dama, not Otaku Dama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 10:27 pm 

kobushi wrote:
It's Otoko Dama, not Otaku Dama.

The rom is named "Otaku Dama (1999)(Mitsuky)[h]" as you will see from the disc slot on the emulator , and the x68000 Games Database lists this game as Otaku Dama too:
http://gamesdbase.com/game/sharp-x68000/otaku-dama.aspx
Remember, nobody likes a smartass and,
once again, glad you liked it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 10:58 pm 

Look at the actual title screen on the game database page and at 0:06 of your own video - Otoko Dama is very clearly written in English and Japanese. Also check here and here

Quote:
Remember, nobody likes a smartass and,
once again, glad you liked it

al32gabby and I are merely pointing out problems with your video. And if you keep responding with passive-aggressive comments like "glad you liked it :D :D :D ", nobody's going to even bother replying to you in the future.

BTW, I think it's great that you are uploading Youtube videos and spreading awareness of these old computer games. You're obviously very passionate about them, given the avalanche of new threads you have created in the last few days.

The whole point of this forum is to share information and help each other, so please don't take constructive criticism personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2011, 12:02 am 

Thankyou- I guess pithy comments like "terrible sound" and "it's Otoko" come across as negative when there not qualified by any further comment.
I've already had a great deal of help on this forum and it's a pleasure to be a member but I come from forums where I'm used to discussion and help rather than bullet points. Also sarcasm and irony are part and parcel of any internet discussion and help to avoid all that ridiculous flaming :D
As far as this Otaku/Otoko debate goes I guess it just depends on our naming conventions- as you point out, it's clear that the game's author has called it "Otoko Dama" but whoever dumped the rom originally has named that rom "Otaku Dama". Since in sifting through all these games I'm using dumped roms rather than original discs, I'm identifying the games by the dump name, though I guess either way is OK.
Anyways this forum is for sure the premier site for Japanese retro computing and I don't want to go falling out with anybody here!
I can certainly learn a lot from you and al32gabby (who's already been really helpful with my emulation issues) so I look forward to having interesting and constructive discussions with you guys about all this stuff.
It would be great to see more YouTube vids of x68k rarities and also discuss the technicalities of screen recording- I've used Fraps, CamStudio and Camtasia so far and Camtasia is absolutely the best of those :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2011, 12:31 am 

mjclark wrote:
As far as this Otaku/Otoko debate goes I guess it just depends on our naming conventions

Trust me, it's not much of a debate. :lol:

男='Otoko'
弾='Dama'

It's just a bad typo from whoever first named the image, since 'Otaku' means something else entirely.

edit: not a critisicm, just explaining why it's wrong ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2011, 12:41 am 

Trickless wrote:
mjclark wrote:
As far as this Otaku/Otoko debate goes I guess it just depends on our naming conventions

Trust me, it's not much of a debate. :lol:

男='Otoko'
弾='Dama'

It's just a bad typo from whoever first named the image, since 'Otaku' means something else entirely.

Hmm- but the debate isn't about what the game's called but rather whether I should refer to it by the name of the rom dump or by the original game's name. I suppose this is more of an issue about emulation conventions than anything else.
And what does "Otaku Dama" actually mean then (and what would "Otaku Dama" mean too?) lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2011, 12:51 am 

Otoko Dama = MAN-BULLET.
Otaku Dama = OTAKU-BULLET.

Obviously a bullet made out of MAN is going to be millions of times more powerful than a bullet made out of OTAKU.

Anyway, screw the mislabeled dump, the game is freeware!
I already posted the official download page in my earlier reply:
http://retropc.net/x68000/software/game ... ing/otoko/

Links are at the bottom of the page:
OTOKO_G7.LZH - game data
SOURCE.LZH - source code
OTOK100I.LZH - pre-made disk image

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2011, 1:15 am 

kobushi wrote:
Otoko Dama = MAN-BULLET.
Otaku Dama = OTAKU-BULLET.

Obviously a bullet made out of MAN is going to be millions of times more powerful than a bullet made out of OTAKU.

Anyway, screw the mislabeled dump, the game is freeware!
I already posted the official download page in my earlier reply:
http://retropc.net/x68000/software/game ... ing/otoko/

Links are at the bottom of the page:
OTOKO_G7.LZH - game data
SOURCE.LZH - source code
OTOK100I.LZH - pre-made disk image

That page and it's site are really interesting ( though not the official Mitsuky site at all) and the version 1.00 there is identical to the [h] rom dump I was using which suggests that the original rom dump was for an earlier version. Also the ever-humorous google translate gives "otokadama" as elastic man :D
It's good to get a proper discussion going about this and now everyone's making sense rather than just issuing orders you'll be pleased to hear that the YouTube video has been renamed as "Otoko Dama x68k Shmup" :D :D
And it would be great to have some more vids and some more discussion too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2011, 1:24 am 

mjclark wrote:
That page and it's site are really interesting ( though not the official Mitsuky site at all)

It's the offical download page. This is the official Mitsuky page, which I also linked earlier, and it directs people to download the game from the retropc.net page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2011, 1:34 am 

kobushi wrote:
mjclark wrote:
That page and it's site are really interesting ( though not the official Mitsuky site at all)

It's the offical download page. This is the official Mitsuky page, which I also linked earlier, and it directs people to download the game from the retropc.net page.

Wow- that official Mitsuky page is even more interesting, especially the strategy guide to the game. There's stuff in there i hadn't realised about changing the bomber type etc.
Otoko Dama is easily as good as Cho Ren Sha 68k which I'd previously thought of as the crown of x68k shmups (though I'm developing a real liking for Angel Dive just for the great graphics and all that fun getting the music to work), and while we're on the subject, what's the correct anglicisation for that? Is it Cho Ren Sha or Chorensha or Chourensha or what??