Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 7:14 am 

Sorry, double post...

Kaminari, I tried Neko kai8 in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit today. I tested many different games, and it didn't crash at all. I didn't set any compatibility settings or anything like that.

edit: OK, I think I've done enough testing to say that Neko Project II kai8 definitely does work in 64-bit Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 11:35 am 

Strange. I've tried it on two different Win7-64 Ultimate and it doesn't run at all -- it's not that it crashes per se, it refuses to run and displays an error code related to missing 16-bit components.

Sorry to ask, but are you sure the Windows you tried was 64-bit? Many people install the x32 version on their x64 system (some Win7 editions host both builds on the same DVD, and those will install the x32 version by default).

Otherwise, I don't know what could be the problem here. It's worth noting that both Neko and Neko+ x32 give me the same warning, while the x64 version runs flawlessly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 12:44 pm 

Maybe it's because I'm a running a Japanese OS? But you're getting an error about 16-bit components...

-Have you tried setting Japanese as the language for non-Unicode programs? edit: I changed the language and rebooted - still works.
-Is your copy of Windows fully up to date? (I have SP1 installed)

That's about all I can think of. I am running a regular user (non-admin) account. Everything is working perfectly here. :? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2011, 9:16 am 

Hiya,

Thank kobushi for the news about emulator updates.

I downloaded Neko Project II Unofficial Build (0.83 kai8 VC6a) and tried it out a bit. I put the user disk that come with Policenauts with np21nt. Once the DOS load MSCDEX, the emulator pop the warning about IA32_panic saying exception: catch triple fault!

Any idea?

mic

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2011, 9:24 am 

Upload your user disk and I will take a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2011, 10:05 am 

Here it is.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/byga44

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2011, 10:48 am 

Fixed.

reup: http://www.mediafire.com/?vja9y97sb1m3bvb

You might also get a GDC clock error. If you do, click Emulate->Reset while holding down the End key on your keyboard. The BIOS will appear. Turn switch 2-8 OFF (2.5 MHz).

Also reduce the sound buffer to 100-200 ms to prevent audio lag.

Last edited by kobushi on October 11th, 2011, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2011, 2:01 pm 

It works now, thanks,

Would you tell me what the problem exactly? Wrong driver? wrong MSCDEX or DOS?

mic

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2011, 9:11 pm 

The emulator requires the NECCDD.SYS driver to access CDs. No other CD driver works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2011, 2:10 am 

Small update: Neko Project II unofficial build 0.83 kai8 VC6b.
This version does not create log files when mounting a CD. Otherwise it is identical to VC6a.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 11:57 pm 

Neko Project II VC6b+

Updated executables for VC6b.
- Windows 98 support (as host OS, not inside the emulator!)
- fixed memory leak issue in np21
- uses SSE2 instructions, if available
- VC6 compiling optimizations
(click to download)
Password: 9821

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 6:48 am 

I'm testing kai8 right now and what should I say... It's really great. Sometimes it slows down on my poor AMD 1,3 GHz, but at least the on-screen action and music/fx are synchronized perfectly. Looks like I'm finally going to say goodbye to T98-Next, but... I've found two games in my collection, which refuses to work. First one is Prince of Persia 2. It loads normally, but music disappears after a few seconds, intro animation is not played, and when I start the game there is no sound at all. The second one is Puzznic. It shows this:
Unfortunately I don't know japanese, so I can't figure what it may want from me. Can you please help? It would be great to be able to play all my (rather small) collection with only one emulator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 7:49 am 

Prince of Persia 2 works perfectly for me. I just played through the first level again to check. The cutscenes even have voice acting :)
Just in case, here's the version I uploaded last year, HDI+boot disk: http://sharebee.com/e97d12b9

I think it's your sound board. Use PC-9801-86+Chibi-oto sound board, with a low sound buffer so sound effects aren't delayed. Also, don't set the CPU clock too high, because Neko's CPU core is flaky. Between 30-40 MHz should be OK.

As for Puzznic, it looks like it won't work. It uses a custom boot loader, so it might be a copy protection issue. The error message just says that there was an invalid interrupt at 41H. I'm pretty sure I've seen that error elsewhere, but I unfortunately I don't know what it means.

Can you get Puzznic running in another emulator? I got the same error in T98 Next, and Anex86 froze even before the error message appears. I don't think it's just an NP2 issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 8:44 am 

kobushi wrote:
The cutscenes even have voice acting :)

I know, have finished this gem with T98-Next.

Quote:
Just in case, here's the version I uploaded last year, HDI+boot disk: http://sharebee.com/e97d12b9

If I remember correctly, it was my request. :)

Quote:
I think it's your sound board. Use PC-9801-86+Chibi-oto sound board, with a low sound buffer so sound effects aren't delayed. Also, don't set the CPU clock too high, because Neko's CPU core is flaky. Between 30-40 MHz should be OK.

You're a magician when it comes to solving problems with PC-98 emulation. The clock was set too high, now everything works perfectly, thanks a lot.

Quote:
Can you get Puzznic running in another emulator?

Yeah, my version works fine with T98-Next and Anex86. Here it is, you can give it a try.

One more question. How do I have to configure sound or emulator in general to hear PCM sounds in Binyu Hunter? I think it may be another minor (and stupid, but hard to figure) problem in my configuration of kai8.
Edit: And it was. Why the hell am I overclocking this emulator so badly? 12 MHz is enough, all games works much smoother and faster now than in 49 MHz (they were choppy as hell). I guess it's my low-end PC complex - I'm trying to convince myself it's not so (s)low, because it can at least emulate other platforms with maxed out config. And I'm only hurting myself this way. Eh...

And the final problem: Hell Ogre. In Neko it quits with whole lot of errors, in T98-Next it shows this:
It works only with Anex86, but after messing with emulation speed and totally without any sound. Am I missing some BIOS or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 11:26 am 

!!!!!! :shock:

Misumaru, you're a FRIGGIN GENIUS.

The problem with Hell Ogre is that you're missing the sound BIOS rom file. Go get it, and put everything in the main directories of NP2 and Anex86. For T98 Next, put the rom file into the ROM folder, and the rhythm samples into the main folder with Next.exe.

Ironically, the missing sound bios is why Puzznic was working in Anex86 and T98 Next. There's a memory conflict between the memory address of the sound rom and the memory used by Puzznic's system shell. Neko probably reserves the memory even if there isn't a sound rom, which is why you get the error.

To run Puzznic in Neko, do one of the following:
1) Disable all sound boards (Device->Sound->Disable boards)
2) If you're using the 86 board, click Device->Sound option->86 tab, and clear the ROM checkbox.
3) If you're using the 26K board, click Device->Sound option->26 tab, and change the ROM address value to anything other than CC000.
4) If you're using the Speak board or the Spark board, click Device->Sound option->SPB tab, and change the ROM address value to anything other than CC000.
5) Use the AMD-98 board

About the CPU clock: I think there's a bug in Neko, because I get severe slowdown whenever I set the clock higher than about 40 MHz. (2.5 x 16). 40 MHz is still plenty to run basically everything, though.

NP2 really needs a CPU overhaul with real 386/486 support and accurate V30 emulation. It's the last thing needed to make the emulator perfect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next