Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 5:39 am 

Does someone still have this collection that wouldn't mind reposting it? It seems all the links are now dead, and I was hoping to see if I could look through the Ys I manual to figure out how in the world to make a userdisk that works and doesn't tell me "ERROR" when trying to load from it.

Also I plan on scanning the Brandish 1, 2, and 3 manuals if those have not been added already. I've done Brandish 2 so far: http://retro-type.com/brandish/br2/Brandish2-Manual.pdf

Thanks!

-Thomas

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 2:47 pm 

Unless someone else has a link or easy upload, I'll try to upload the original pack. It is > 3GB so it will take a few days. It might fail, but let us see.

It also seems that the Ys is "incomplete" in the set, so if someone has a good manual maybe they could upload somewhere.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 6:26 pm 

Many manuals are available for download when you buy the game on Project EGG.

https://www.amusement-center.com/project/egg/index.cgi

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 8:18 pm 
Isn't it the same pack posted a few months ago? It has the Ys manual but it's incomplete just as peter pointed out though.

viewtopic.php?p=14906#p14906

As for the user disk, you need to press F5 while playing to create it but I guess this part you already know.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 8:23 pm 

kaze hakase wrote:
Isn't it the same pack posted a few months ago?

Thank heaven! I was sure I had seen them uploaded recently.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 8:30 pm 

kaze hakase wrote:
Isn't it the same pack posted a few months ago? It has the Ys manual but it's incomplete just as peter pointed out though.

viewtopic.php?p=14906#p14906

As for the user disk, you need to press F5 while playing to create it but I guess this part you already know.

This manual pack is no manual for the game ys only notes and cover manual

PostPosted: August 21st, 2015, 1:21 am 
Yeah, that's the sad part.
Fortunately it isn't too hard to figure out how to create a user disk on the first Ys compared to other games (Ys 3, for instance).

BTW just stumbled upon this site:
http://www.landofys.com.ru/gallery/ys_manuals_scans.htm

It provides quite a variety of Ys manuals scans for different systems (PC-98 included) :)

PostPosted: August 21st, 2015, 4:27 am 

Wow, so many posts in one day! Thank you very much for providing this information. It's nice to finally see the manual and to see if there is anything special I should be trying to get a userdisk to work with Ys I for PC-98. Unfortunately, I seem to still be having issues creating one that will work correctly when tested in Neko Project II and/or on real hardware (in this case, a PC9821 Ce2 model running Dos 6.2)

What happens is that I can take an ordinary disk image, format it to 1.2 MB using Neko Project II, and set that up in Drive 2 to become the new Userdisk. Hitting F5 while running Ys1 as a .d88 file in Drive 1, brings up the dialog menu to save the game by hitting the Return key. Usually if I do this, the game will look like it saved and will not present any error messages, usually... But when I hit F1 to bring up the dialog menu to load the game from Drive 2's userdisk, it tells me that there is an Error and it will not load the save. It doesn't seem to work with anything that I've tried so far.

I did think to try and format a 620KB / 2DD disk to perhaps create a 2DD userdisk that perhaps an older game like Ys would support better? (in theory) but so far I've never been successful in formatting a 2DD disk using the traditional dos commands of A: Format B:. It will always display a message that it was unable to complete the format operation. I tried doing this with an older version of DOS as well, Dos 3.3, but it still resulted in the same errors as above.

I just don't really know what the problem can be really.

I should mention that my goal in all of this is to update a HDI image that Kobushi made for the NFGGames community (which has a small user base of PC-98 hardware owners and enthusiasts, myself included) and make basically a 2.0 of that image. Because we've been experimenting with ERCACHE and having a bit of fun with that for some disk games that cannot be installed on a HDD image, I wanted to try and get the first 3 PC-98 Ys games to work inside of ERCACHE, especially since they all seem to be disks with copy protection on them. The good news is that I can get Ys I to play at least, just not save, and I can get Ys 2 and Ys 3 to play an save without issues. And yes, Ys 3 was a bit tricky to start up a new userdisk, but fortunately someone else here had already answered that question and I was able to follow their advice, so thank you for that. : )

-Thomas

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2015, 11:48 am 

Try it. Found in his hard drive.
https://yadi.sk/d/D4YC2Z5_iaoLE

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2015, 7:00 pm 

Thanks al32gabby! It works. I can now save using F4 and reload using F1 and I've tested it working now in ERCACHE. Now I'm trying to come up with a simple .bat script solution for saving userdisks each time.

Thank you all for the help!

-Thomas

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2015, 3:23 am 
Hey SkyeWelse, forgot to mention but nice job scanning Brandish 2 manual!
It's really nice to see that Falcom added some chunk of the story inside it.

Really looking forward Brandish 1 and 3 stuff too!

PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 5:54 am 

kaze hakase wrote:
Hey SkyeWelse, forgot to mention but nice job scanning Brandish 2 manual!
It's really nice to see that Falcom added some chunk of the story inside it.

Really looking forward Brandish 1 and 3 stuff too!

Hi Kaze Hakase. :) Sure, no problem. Hopefully I can get to those scans one day soon. Also on the list is Oerstedia and Dragon Half which I just recently bought because I'm interested in seeing whether or not it's possible to translate these two games into English one day with the help of a friend. At the very least, we hope to be able to solve the hacking part and any graphic edits that may need to be made and if we can't translate it ourselves, we'll search for a translator who would be interested. We would want to translate/scanlate the manual too. Since our group is already working on Brandish 2 Renewal and making pretty good progress with that, we'll likely make an English version of the manual I scanned for the game and that would be the plan for Oerstedia and Dragon Half as well. I'm especially happy to have gotten Dragon Half as I'm a huge fan of the anime and only recently learned about the PC-98 game's existence. Hoping the manual will shed some more light on how to play the game and what the cards do in battles.

-Thomas