Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: December 1st, 2020, 11:48 pm 

So... I've been doing a lot of working breaking down all the various (virtually innumerable) disk image formats floating around.

In the course of that, I discovered that several .FDI files (Anex86, has a header) were actually .HDM files (headerless disk image) What's more, Anex86 will run these files just fine, although it otherwise appears to only run .FDI and .HDI files.

Nothing in the documentation for Anex86 appears to indicate this is a feature. Pretty much every other format I tried feeding into Anex86 returned a "No Disk!" error. Are there any other formats it supports?

(VFIC doesn't rely on the extension, and will successfully recognize the HDM file as the BKDSK image it is.)

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2020, 11:19 pm 

Interesting. Are you able to upload an example?

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2020, 6:53 pm 

Pretty much any example will work, if you have VFIC. For example, start with the FDIs from BattleTech, currently posted on my site:
http://www.pc98.org/battlet.html

Using VFIC, convert the FDI in that archive to BKDSK format in VFIC, which will yield an HDM file. At this point you can look at both files with a hex editor (or just note the change in file size) to confirm it didn't just change the extension, but removed the header.

Delete your original FDI, then just use Windows Explorer to rename the HDM to FDI, then open it in Anex86.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2020, 9:16 am 

I see. Given that the files are identical except for the 4,096-byte header, it does not surprise me that Anex86 would support both. It does make me wonder why that fact is not advertised, however...

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2021, 4:33 pm 

Deepening the mystery, AnexDiet does not support headerless files. Attempting to open one with it (assuming the file extension is .FDI or otherwise associated with it) just results in any empty box.