Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 6:04 pm 

Hello, all. I'm just wanted to announce that I'm working on a full English translation of an obscure and cool little Space edutainment(?) game called Primal Space from 1994 by FlipFlop. I thought It'd be nice to have in English so that the events would be much easier to understand and so more people can play this game that has nearly no info online.

Here's some screenshots of my work so far:
Not everything has been translated yet, but a decent chunk of it is so far. Also, keep in mind that I haven't changed any of the bitmap graphics yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will. But hopefully, this can be finished sometime soon-ish. After this is finished, I'll get back to working on another one for the PC-98 version of Prince of Persia 2.

I do have a question, though... As you can see, some of the text is unfortunately extremely abbreviated. This is because there simply wasn't enough space to put in the full English strings in place of the original Japanese ones. It's machine translated, so the quality of the translation will never be great, but is there any way to put in any length of text I want without completely breaking anything, or is there nothing I can do and I just have to live with it? Thanks.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2019, 4:01 am 

I wish I could answer your question, but I just wanted to say that I've been drooling at the prospect of finally having this game in English. I wish you the best of luck. Have you tried the Romhacking.net forums? A lot of their expertise should carry over.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2019, 7:36 am 

How is the project going?
Quote:
... is there any way to put in any length of text I want without completely breaking anything, or is there nothing I can do and I just have to live with it?

This depends on how the text is stored. If it is baked into the executable, there is not much hope for changing lengths of text strings, as doing so would require updating references to every other object that appears after the text in the executable. If text is in its own data file, however, length changes would probably be easy.

Best of luck. If the machine translation provides confusing results, feel free to ask for clarification here. Someone will help, eventually. :lol: