Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: January 14th, 2019, 3:09 am 

The front faceplate on my PC-9821 Cs2 unfortunately has a crack on the side and some broken plastic tabs on the back. I feel like it gets worse every time I take it off and put it back on. I really would like to get a decent condition one with no cracked/broken parts, but would really prefer to not have to go through Yahoo Auctions for the time being. My second floppy drive has also gotten quite flaky to the point where a lot of the time it won't read disks. This means I can't play games that come on two or more floppies and absolutely have to be run from the floppy disks.

Would anybody please contact me if they have any of these spare parts? The faceplate is my biggest priority (with the single floppy drive insert preferred), but getting the second drive replaced would be also be nice. Thanks.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 10:21 am 

Hi ! Why not Yahoo Auction ?
You can find a plate here :
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b259397413

PostPosted: January 17th, 2019, 2:44 pm 

Ehh... It's mainly just that when using proxy services, the price goes up considerably. Also, my faceplate is cracked on the side due to shipping damage. When it was in Japan/before it was shipped, the damage certainly wasn't in the photos. I don't want to risk that happening again.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2019, 5:42 am 

Yes, for sure. But you have maybe 0.0001% of chance that someone has a plate to sold out of Japan.
Maybe just for a faceplate, the risk and the price will be low.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2019, 9:21 am 

I wouldn't even count on those odds. Get the one from Japan and count your blessings that Yahoo auctions has one for sale. Hoping for anything else is pure folly.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2019, 2:18 pm 

kamiboy wrote:
I wouldn't even count on those odds. Get the one from Japan and count your blessings that Yahoo auctions has one for sale. Hoping for anything else is pure folly.

Yeah, that seems to be true. Oh well, it was worth asking. Actually, though, two more things about the floppy drive...

Is it at all possible to use a standard IBM PC 1.44mb drive and have it work? I notice it's the same connector, but haven't tried actually hooking it up yet.

Last edited by tpgb12 on January 22nd, 2019, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2019, 5:35 pm 

tpgb12 wrote:

Is it at all possible to use a standard IBM PC 1.44mb drive and have it work? I notice it's the same connector, but haven't tried actually hooking it up yet.

You can replace it with a 3-mode floppy drive or HxC/Gotek floppy emulator, connector is a standard 34pin (while my PC-9821AP2 has a 26 pin one) with Shugart pinout, if you do dome search you will find info about.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2019, 4:12 am 

I've been wanting a dual-drive faceplate for my 9821cf (as it only ships with one drive) but again, trying to get one from YAJ is not going to be anything approaching cheap. You honestly might want to look into getting what you've got 3D scanned and printed, as the hassle level will be about the same. If you replace the second drive, 3D printing an eject button that fits it (as the old drive's button likely won't transfer over) might be an easier first project than reproducing the floppy faceplate or sections of the main faceplate.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 3:53 am 

Yes, 9821cf faceplate is not common. 3D printing is a good idea !

PostPosted: April 21st, 2019, 7:27 am 

I agree that a 3D scan/print sounds like a good idea. We should document what we have now, so that our great, great grandchildren can know what a real face plate is, after 100% of the world face plate supply has cracked. ;)