Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PC-98 Display Issues
PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 8:44 pm 

Here's another PC-9821 Cs2 question:

I got the keyboard and mouse today and can confirm that it's basically fully working other than some minor cosmetic issues and the volume knob being broken atm. I am having an issue that isn't the fault of the machine itself, though...

Basically, the only monitor I've tried so far that can display it at all is a 16:10 Dell LCD PC monitor with VGA and DVI. It displays through a VGA adapter, but the image is cropped and it reports the resolution as 640x350. Windows 3.1 is the only thing that isn't cropped, but that's because it's just 640x480 60hz like a normal PC. I do have an NEC Multisync Xv14 CRT, but it won't display it at all for whatever reason (other than maybe Win3.1). I was lead to believe NEC Multisyncs are supposed to be able to display the PC-98 fine.

But yeah, is there anything I can do for 640x400 not to be cropped or does anyone know how I can get the Xv14 to display it at all? Also, I have a GBS-8200 but that also won't work with it. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: PC-98 Display Issues
PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 10:26 pm 

Optimal, but expensive option, purchase XPC-4. If you need a modern inexpensive monitor, then you should pay attention to the BenQ BL702A and BenQ BL912.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 5:42 pm 

The XPC-4 literally costs more than the computer itself, so that's pretty much out of the question...

Hopefully I can get a good compatible CRT monitor someday. I'd much rather have that than an LCD monitor.

Also, I notice that you're basically *the* PC-98 guy here these days. lol Not that I mind, of course. I understand this isn't the most active forum at the moment, but it seems to be the only forum where you can discuss the PC-98 in English that's active whatsoever.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 5:21 am 

My monitor, iiyama XU2390HS, displays perfectly 24khz signal, with original resolution. 31Khz is not optimal though.