Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: December 28th, 2018, 6:53 pm 

Hello. I've recently gotten a PC-9821 Cs2 for Christmas, and while it unfortunately suffered a bit of shipping damage to the faceplate (mainly on the back side), it does seem to be mostly working. I don't have a keyboard and mouse yet, but I put in an IDE hard drive with a pre-written install of DOS 6.2 on it and it booted fine. However, I can't get it to boot from any of the floppies I've written with DiskImage13b. The drives light up when I insert disks in them on startup, but they don't seem to do any seeking and after a bit it just goes to the hard drive. Are the drives bad or am I just not writing the disks properly? None of the floppy drives I've tried so far have allowed me to format to 1.23mb through Windows, but DiskImage seems to write them anyways. I've heard they may still not work if Windows can't format them beforehand, though. Should I just wait for the keyboard and mouse to arrive and attempt to format on the machine itself? Thanks.

Btw, if the drives on the machine itself do work, are there any tools I can use to write HDM files or whatnot to actual disks via the drives on the PC-98 itself in DOS or something? Thanks.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2018, 8:26 pm 

Floppy before use must be formatted in windows.

FORMAT A: /A:1024 /T:77 /N:8 /U

PostPosted: December 28th, 2018, 9:00 pm 

Okay, so, that command immediately gave me a "Parameters not compatible." error on my Windows 7 laptop with a USB floppy drive, but when I tried it on my ThinkPad T60 with WinXP, it worked fine even with the same drive. I'll give a status update soon-ish on if this actually worked. Thanks.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2018, 10:41 pm 

It works!

Here's Prince of Persia, a game on a single disk:
And a two disk game, 4D Driving, also works fine:

The only minor issue is that the floppy drive order is reversed for some reason Drive B is on the top and A is on the bottom. And yeah, this monitor I'm trying it with is cropping off the image and I can't seem to do anything about it. But overall, other than I haven't tested the CD drive yet with something like Policenauts, I'm very proud to be a working PC-98 owner in the United States. Once I get the keyboard and mouse and really get to use it, I'll be sure to make a video on it.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2018, 1:58 am 

I tried Policenauts, and it works fine. So yes, I can confirm the CD drive also works. I should make a video of at least the first act on real hardware to show the lip motions that are missing in emulation, etc. Basically, the machine is fully working except for the volume knob being broken. The plastic piece for it fell off during transit and I'm not sure if it can be fixed.

Edit: Floppy Drive B now isn't working right for some reason and I really do need to get a new faceplate, but the machine is otherwise still operational and can run most games.

Last edited by tpgb12 on January 17th, 2019, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 10:25 am 

good luck for making your PC-98 full working !
It maybe took me a year for my own. (PC-9821V12)
Working perfectly now with Policenauts etc !
If you need advices, and if I can help you please tell me !

PostPosted: January 17th, 2019, 2:48 pm 

mimylovesjapan wrote:
good luck for making your PC-98 full working !
It maybe took me a year for my own. (PC-9821V12)
Working perfectly now with Policenauts etc !
If you need advices, and if I can help you please tell me !

Thanks. At least since it's a computer, the parts are more easily replaced/fixed compared to a console.