Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: November 8th, 2016, 11:58 pm 

Warm regards to everyone in this forum!

I have a problem making this one game run! I have tried every PC-98 emulator out there and nothing works for me. I always get this (システムディスクをセットしてください) screen when I mount game HDI:

I have no problem with other games in other formats that I tested, but this one that I really need running makes a problem.
Probably something in my executing procedure is wrong...
If possible, can someone please make some sort of walktrough for dealing with this problem, so that someone else with this same problem can find the solution here (I'm asking this since I couldn't find the solution by searching the net in english language, I only got japanese sites related to this, which are of no help to me since my nihongo is very bad and page translation doesn't help much).

Here is HDI file, the game is "Waku Waku Mahjong Panic! 2":
http://www.filedropper.com/wakuwakupanic2

If you get it to run, post the zip with copy of your emulator all set up to run (I'm runing Win 7 x64)... (Important thing here for me is that game BGM must run to the best of emulators capability or as close to original system as possible).

Thanks in advance for time taken to deal with this problem of mine!

PostPosted: November 9th, 2016, 8:32 pm 

Solved! It took me a week to get it right!

Will make a short tutorial here soon.

For now just this short description:
HDI is the image of HardDrive, but for you to run the game (which in this case is made for DOS) you must boot DOS Operating System first and then run the game from your HDD image though DOS...
(don't forget to put a copy of your HDI file in emulator since the emulator will make changes to HDI file, so backup the original somewhere)

システムディスクをセットしてください message probably referred to lack of installed OS! If you see it again after following procedure below you know your doing something wrong...

* So, first get MS-DOS 6.2 floppy system disk image here and then mount it (FDI file) to the emulators ("Neko" works just fine) first floppy drive (FDD1).
* And now mount your game HDI file in emulators HDD and reset the emulator.
* After reset you should see colorful DOS interface, now press Q to exit, and now you should see familiar "A:>" DOS insignia on black screen.
* Type "C:" to enter HDD, and type "dir" to see contents, "cd <folder name>" to enter specific folder, in folder type "dir /p" to show a list of files in folder with pause when list is full (that's why "/p" is here to pause the listing until key is pressed, otherwise it would list all the files and show you just the end of the list without possibility of going up the list to see other list items).
* Type name of .exe file or .bat which you think is your game executable while in that directory and your game should start when you hit the right one. (in example of my game, the file is SIKI2.BAT so I just type "siki2" while in directory to start the game)

Hope this helps someone and saves some time.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2016, 6:46 am 

Quote:
don't forget to put a copy of your HDI file in emulator since the emulator will make changes to HDI file, so backup the original somewhere

This is better practice, but do people actually do this? Should FDI files be copied, too?

PostPosted: November 10th, 2016, 3:08 pm 

Actually, if you want to be completely safe, you should backup FDI file too, since emulator modified my DOS FDI file.

But in my case emulator modification of DOS .FDI file didn't change anything in the behavior of the game running, on the other hand when game HDI file was modified it changed it's behavior in following way:
When you run the game for the first time from provided HDI file (prior to emulator modification of it), after game start the first screen that you see is selector for music type reproduction FM, MIDI, etc. If you pick something that doesn't work from this options and your game doesn't give out sound, you will not be able to get this screen again even if you; reset the emulator, shut down the emulator, delete emulators .INI setup file; nothing will work since the games HDI file was modified, and game will automatically start from its default in-game menu and without any music (if you picked some sound option that will not reproduce music in the emulator) every time.

So the only way around it is to delete that HDI file (I also delete emulators setup .INI file), and copy original (unmodified) HDI file to emulators directory and run the game again, and sound selector will be there again.

The fact that DOS .FDI file was modified doesn't change anything in this case so I leave it like that.

Probably it wouldn't mater for some other game or for someone else, but since I need the music from this game it is very important to me that the music is actually audible, you know, it would kinda help...
So, answer to your question "do people usually do this", is probably, no. But as you can see in this case it really helped, so, yes, it would be, as you said, a good practice to do it.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2016, 6:05 pm 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry that happened. :shock:

I've decided to preserve archive file sources from now on.