Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FIVEC is released
PostPosted: April 26th, 2021, 1:09 am 

So I finally made the initial release of the editing/conversion program I've been working on.

https://www.pc98.org/project/fivec.html

For the next update, I'm looking at adding support for HD images. Most of those formats appear pretty simple (HDI is literally identical to FDI), but it looks like I only have a single THD file. Does anyone have an info on that format, or additional THDs I might be able to examine?

Post subject: Re: FIVEC is released
PostPosted: April 28th, 2021, 4:16 pm 

Great job! Can't wait for HDD support.

I also have only one THD image file — Shinjuku Monogatari. I don't remember where I got it from, but it's almost 20 years old.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2021, 11:59 pm 

Quote:
Great job! Can't wait for HDD support.

I'll probably have the HDD support for 1.1, around June 2021 or so. It turns out those formats are much easier than the floppy formats, since no one tried to do any weird copy-protection with hard disks like they did with floppy images for the PC-98.

Quote:
I also have only one THD image file — Shinjuku Monogatari. I don't remember where I got it from, but it's almost 20 years old.

I've never actually had a copy of T98 (Only the successor, T98-Next) but it appears that emulator used two file formats:

TFD (Floppy) - VFIC handles this, I've never seen a TFD file in any of the collections (No FIVEC support for that reason)
THD (Hard Disk) - T98-Next accepts this, calls it "T98 HD Image"

Then that emulator was replaced with T98-Next, which uses two different file formats:

NFD (Floppy) - VFIC/FIVEC handle both versions of this. It came in an .r0 version, which was superceded by .r1
NHD (Hard Disk) - T98-Next accepts this, calls it "T98-NEXT HD Image"

So it seems to be THD is obsolete. I've got FIVEC to load the one image I have, but without any documentation or other images, I can't tell what most of the 256-byte header is used for (if anything)

PostPosted: May 18th, 2021, 9:54 pm 

Well, the good news is, here's Dengeki Division running on SL9821, via an HDI converted to SLH by FIVEC:

...the bad news is, like people on the forum had previously reported, SL9821 doesn't handle most hard disk configurations. Specifically, you need 8 heads and 512 Bytes Per Sector. SL9821 will recognize a converted HD that doesn't conform to that, but it won't actually function in the emulator. Most HD images floating around are 4 heads and 256 Bytes Per Sector.

Dengeki Division happened to be the one I had handy that was a compatible format and an HDI.

So I'm almost done (really, just some testing) with the HD support. It should load HDI/NHD/SLH/THD and save HDI/NHD/SLH in version 1.1

Virtual98 appears to use the "*.HDD" format for hard disks, but I didn't see an option to create one, and I've never seen one in the wild, so I can't do much with that.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2021, 10:50 pm 

Version 1.1, with HD image support, is out:

PostPosted: May 26th, 2021, 9:18 pm 

Excellent.

Going back to your comment about TFD, I happen to have a couple of floppy images with that extension (Urusei Yatsura and a few others). I'm not certain they are genuine TFD files though. But if you're interested in looking into the format, I can upload them.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2021, 9:21 pm 

Quote:
Excellent.

Going back to your comment about TFD, I happen to have a couple of floppy images with that extension (Urusei Yatsura and a few others). I'm not certain they are genuine TFD files though. But if you're interested in looking into the format, I can upload them.

I certainly would like to look at them. As long as they're nothing radically different from other formats, it shouldn't be a huge amount of effort to add support.

If they're not very large, you can email them to me (my email is right on the splash screen for PC98.org); If they are, a download link would work just as well.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2021, 10:22 am 

Hey Ryo, sorry for the delay! I've sent you a mail.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2021, 10:10 pm 

Version 1.2 is out. Adds support for DIP files and a few of the more arcane BKDSK formats.

It supports TFD files now, although it probably has since 1.0, because they're actually just renamed headerless files. Anyway, they've been added to the dialog filters.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2022, 10:11 pm 

Version 1.3 is out. Adds FIM support and fixes a few small bugs.