Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2016, 7:03 pm 

Hello,
This is a long post so you may skip to my final question.

So first things first:
I would like to ask about help considering PC 98 "Eye of the Beholder" emulation.

I've searched the net & some sources & it appears there are 2 versions of the game, one from 'Ving' & one from 'Pony Canyon'.
According to the following site, the Pony Canyon version has boot issues. However the site features in game screenshots
that may have been ripped via emulation.
http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/screen/G0061.html

'Moby games' also features in game screenshots. The screenshot comments mention that the first thing one should do is create a user disc.
The 1st screenshot shows the titlescreen of the Pony Canyon version. Th 2nd one has a comment refering to creating a user disc.

However it might be that the screenshots are captured from original hardware instead of emulation.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/pc98/eye- ... creenshots

Finally there is a youtube video showing the intro of the game. I doubt the original PC98 hardware is capable of
recording such quality video of a running application. So this is almost definitely captured via emulation.

Now to the point. I have been trying to run a "Pony Canyon" version of the game through both Next & PN2 Emulators.
Both load the game up to the menu. From that point there are 3 options in Japanese - that I can't read, and if I
choose any of them, apparently they produce an error message. Again I cannot read this message but nothing happens.

When running in Next emulator, the 3rd option exits to a command promt screen similar to the screenshot from Moby Games.
Perhaps this is a way to create a needed "user disc". However since I can't read japanese, I can't figure what to do.

So my question is twofold:
a) Has anyone succesufully run this version of the game via emulation?
b) If yes could you help me on the matter?
For example perhaps someone could uploaded a working "eye of the beholder" user disc image.

Then again my point might be mute, because all the above sites might be using either the real hardawre, or the "Ving"
version through emulation.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2016, 10:01 pm 

As far as I know in the public domain on the Internet only version of the game on Pony Canyon.
Version of the game from VING has the support of pc- 9821 computers, and probably works in 256 colors .
For game you need to create a user diskette. I can put a floppy disk ready but it was not to be informative for you.
To create a user you need a floppy disk image of a blank floppy disk.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2016, 2:55 pm 

Thanks a lot for the reply.
Your screenshots with their comments are very helpful.

I tried both on Next emulator and Neko Project 2.
There was some trial and error, since apparently you must insert/eject the correct discs per step.

In the end I managed to run the game in NEXT, although I am 100% sure it also runs in NP2.
Really thanks a lot, there was no way I could do it on my own.
I hope other people can stumble on this post in the future as there is no help on the net for non-japanese reading audience.