Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 10:08 am 

Good luck!

Regarding Kryoflux, if you use dtc instead of the gui, you can make it dump the right size so you don't need to chop, apparently:

http://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=20

http://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?t=811

I'm lazy and prefer the gui. ;)

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 1:08 pm 

Interesting. So, the HDI file is mounted as normal to, say, Neko emu. Then MSDos boot disk is in the A drive and my dump image is in the B drive. From there, boot in to DOS and mount C as A?

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 2:15 pm 

The way I did it ( there are many ways I suppose, including installing the game on a floppy image ):

- Start Neko, no floppies
- Choose menu Harddisk
- IDE #0 ... Open... choose the .hdi I gave you
- Neko menu Emulate... Reset ( You MUST reset this time around, not again if using the same .hdi )
- Allow machine to boot off hard drive image
- Neko menu FDD1... Open... Choose your disk image.

Then the .hdi will be A: and the floppy ( yours ) will be B:. Forget C: at this time.

In case you have not realised, the PC98 does NOT work like a PC. On PC98 your boot drive is A:, hard disk or floppy. Your hard disk is NOT automatically C:.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 3:15 pm 

Hmm, I followed your instructions to boot from the HDI and it only gets so far:

It hangs at this stage. :(

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 3:29 pm 

IT LIVES!

However, I couldn't get it to work your way and it means I need a fresh HDI every time. :(

I copied the 4dboxing exe from the A drive to the C drive using a DOS boot disk to get the system up and running. I then followed your commands but it overwrote bunches of files on the C: drive.

It's not ideal of course, but as a proof of concept, at least my image works! Hurrah! :)

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 3:31 pm 

Strange. Maybe your Neko version or configuration.

Try this - no EMM or anything:

http://www.blackdiamond.co.za/temp/SmallDOS10b.7z

PostPosted: June 18th, 2015, 7:22 pm 

Not sure how entertained you lot are going to be by this, but I hope it provides enjoyment of some sort and doesn't bore anyone to bits! :D

A voyage of disk-covery

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 6:46 am 

Pyongyang wrote:
Not sure how entertained you lot are going to be by this, but I hope it provides enjoyment of some sort and doesn't bore anyone to bits! :D

A voyage of disk-covery

Lovely! Thanks you for your kind mentions. A good read.

The bug has got you now! It is great fun, isn't it. It won't be so irritating from now on, now that you have done it.

If you ever do get one of those disks with a FM track 0 and need to make "bizarre mutant" images, drop me a line - I wrote a bizarre mutant image making utility that works most times - you have to have your brain in gear a bit though. ;)

If you want to learn about frustration and irritation, just wait until you get a disk that does not read so well, and you have to try 10 times with frequent head cleans to get a set of dumps that can be built into a good single dump. The saddest thing for me is getting a disk of an undumped game and not being able to get a good dump. That is not very frequent thankfully.

If you need help hosting your dumps, please get in touch - I am sure there is still some disk allocation free on retroprograms. ;)

PostPosted: June 24th, 2015, 9:42 pm 

Thanks peter_j! Well, it has been a while, but the batch of X68000 disks arrived today. I don't have a great deal of time to do any work with these disks this evening, a lot are Dennou Club disks. I dumped a few and got them to load in the Neo Kobe emu pack, however the menu system is all text so I have no idea how to load anything off of the disks.

Due to personal commitments, it's doubtful I will be able to do anything further now until nearer the end of next week. The good news though is the Kryoflux settings appear to work (change the extension to xdf, I've not used your Kryochop tools for these yet), only a couple of disks have the odd modified sector in orange, otherwise it is all green boxes! :D

PostPosted: June 25th, 2015, 10:00 pm 

Here is another article I put together tonight. Some X68000 disks arrived and I dumped them all with my lovely Kryoflux board. Not PC98 related, but Kryoflux related so figured it OK to post here?

Here's what happened. :)

http://iancortina.co.uk/?p=340

Please do let me know if there are any corrections required for this particular article so I have all of my facts correct. Thanks so much!