Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: May 19th, 2015, 2:45 pm 

Yesterday I released a port of Neko Project II for the original Xbox, named "Neko ProjectX v0.7" (it is common to add a final "X" to the names of Xbox emulators). As you may know, the original Xbox has lots of emulators, but ironically the PC-98 emulator was still not ported, so my goal was filling this gap. Now I have found that other thread in these forums with a pack of emulators of Japanese computers, so I guess that more work can be done porting some of them ;)

I hope that lots of Xbox users will be now able to discover the PC-98, and I'm sure that they will be as fascinated as I am being by this gem.

In the future, maybe I will try to make another release, trying to support PC-9821 games, that are still not supported (I tried compiling with the SUPPORT_PC9821 define and a couple of things more, but it was not enough, so it seems that a deeper investigation must be done to create the NP21 core).

Finally, I would like to say big thanks to the kind people of these forums who have helped me in my first steps with the PC-98, especially Ben, peter_j, Trickless, Ryo Cokey, Don Rumata, DrJones, Starscream the 2nd and Kobushi.

If anyone has curiosity, here is the link to the thread with the official release of this emulator. Please, don't blame us (Xbox users) for making easy questions like "what is an HDI" and so on ;)

http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic ... 183&t=4926

PostPosted: May 19th, 2015, 5:00 pm 

Nice work! I'll give this a try over the weekend :)

PostPosted: May 19th, 2015, 5:23 pm 

That's cool, I also have a modded Xbox. I'll give it a try. :D If you plan to do others, it would be awesome to have Takeda's open source project on the Box, that would open up a ton of platforms. I have no idea how portable it actually is though.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2015, 5:48 pm 

Starscream the 2nd, Trickless, what a surprise!! I didn't know that you were Xbox users too!! :lol:

If you try the emulator, feel free to tell me whatever you want about it. Your feedback will be really usefull and appreciated, as your knowledge about the PC-98 is much higher than mine and many other Xbox users. Please, keep in mind that the port is quite different to the original Neko Project II, because I have removed the dropdown menu (it was really annoying to control it with the joypad) and I have only programmed the main configuration settings in a simple "Main Menu" that you can display pressing Start.

It is probably much less complete than the original as far as settings is related, but my goal was that this first release was playable for everybody (even people who don't know anything about the PC-98). Anyways, if you miss something important, I can try to add it in later releases (plus adding PC-9821 support!).

Starscream the 2nd wrote:
If you plan to do others, it would be awesome to have Takeda's open source project on the Box, that would open up a ton of platforms. I have no idea how portable it actually is though.

That was the thread that I was talking about. When I read it, I was very impressed by the work made by people like Toshiya Takeda, Kobushi, Anna_Wu... Thanks guys!

I must look at the sources to see if they are easily portable :)

PostPosted: May 24th, 2015, 4:34 pm 

Tested it briefly. Hats off, you obviously put some thought into mapping, saved me the hassle to reach for my USB Keyboard :wink:

One game I started didn't have any sound (Metal Force) but then I realized it doesn't have on PC Neko either :shock: . I gotta figure it out there first. Otherwise maybe some of the usual Xbox emulator options (savestates, screen options) could be useful I guess.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2015, 5:15 pm 

Starscream the 2nd wrote:
Tested it briefly. Hats off, you obviously put some thought into mapping, saved me the hassle to reach for my USB Keyboard :wink:

One game I started didn't have any sound (Metal Force) but then I realized it doesn't have on PC Neko either :shock: . I gotta figure it out there first. Otherwise maybe some of the usual Xbox emulator options (savestates, screen options) could be useful I guess.

Thanks for the feedback! I am now working on PC-9821 support, and I hope to make a release in the future with this feature too. Savestates, HD resolutions and software filters are in my "TO DO" list too :D

By the way... anyone knows if there is a site where I can search if a game is made for PC-9821? I would like to have a list of PC-9821 games for my beta testing. At the moment I am testing with Alone in the Dark (1 and 2), Doom (1 and 2) and the Touhou Project games, but I would like to test with more of them. Unfortunately, I don't know which games are made for PC-9821...

PostPosted: May 25th, 2015, 10:16 pm 

This list only includes VNs (visual novels) and it's incomplete, but maybe it could be of help.
https://vndb.org/r?q=PC-9821

PostPosted: May 26th, 2015, 12:29 am 

Here's an excel file that can be sorted appropriately.
http://gavitex.com/share/nzq4y6f6n

The data came from a Japanese source that was also used for the Tokugawa database.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2015, 9:48 am 

Thank you very much! They were really usefull! :D

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 10:08 pm 

Hi folks,

my first posting here. Been following the forum quite a while and finally joined this great community.

I myself am a big fan of playing games via emus on the xbox. And finally Neko Project II was ported earlier this year. So I decided to gather some games playable for this emu. It's not as sophisticated as the actual PC counterpart (yet), but quite some games are running fine. So if someone here is interested, here's the link:

http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=4926

Furthermore - as stated before - I set up a romset (v2 is the newest version) which you can find there also. It's actually containing more than 130 games. Mostly ones playable for gamers whithout knowledge of the japanese language. You can check the gameslist for included titles.

Since a lot of games uploaded here during time are not available any more (because of dead links) I thought this set may be useful for some people. Still looking for some games myself. Been working further on the set to expand it a little more...

PostPosted: September 27th, 2015, 10:30 pm 

[Topics merged.]

Welcome on the forum.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2015, 8:54 pm 

Here is Romset v3, now with 150+ games.

Part 1 (adult roms)[140 MB]:
http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/uqZrJj1L/file.html

Part 2 (non adult roms)[140 MB]:
http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/C2kqu6e3/file.html

ReadMe/Gameslist/BootDisk/WhatsNew:
http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/lB8DOGne/file.html

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2015, 9:29 pm 

Romset v4 is ready. Now 190 games and all 32 DiskStation releases. 440MB altogether.

Part1: https://www.sendspace.com/file/rb7nbu

Part2: https://www.sendspace.com/file/nzy4gb

For more Info see here: http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=4926&start=160

PostPosted: February 14th, 2016, 10:54 am 

I have released an update of "Neko ProjectX", the port of Neko project 2 for the original Xbox. The name of this release is "Neko ProjectX v0.8".

It has 2 important new features:

1) Savestates support: now we can load and save the state during gameplay, from the Main Menu.

2) Basic PC-9821 emulation: we can launch a game with the "X" button in the rom list, and it will run PC-9821 emulation (of course, we can still select a game with the "A" button as always, to start the normal PC-9801 emulation).

With this new feature, some new games like "Alone in the Dark" are playable, and they run quite well.

Anyways, the PC-9821 emulation has 2 limitations: on the one hand, it is slow in several games (for example, "Doom 2" runs painfully slow). On the other hand, extended memory doesn't run well, so games that need extended memory usually hang in the initial "Himem is testing extended memory" message. I guess that I have had some bug while doing the port related to extended memory, because this issue only happens in my port (and not in the Windows version of Neko Project 2) but I have not been able to discover it yet. It seems that PC-9821 has some difference (compared with PC-9801) related to the memory management that I have overlooked... :?