Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 7:10 pm 

So I've been trying to glean what little english information about this series that I can from the web, but I've hit a brick wall trying to figure out exactly how many games there are in the series.

Gensei Kitan: Disc Saga 3 follows the episodic trilogy that included, in this order, Disc Saga: Iraisha wa Monster?, Disc Saga: Nagisa no Baka Taishou, and Disc Saga: Yukemuri ni Kieta Bijotachi Yume no Naka e Rendezvous (I'm getting that information here). Now, because the latter three are basically one game, and because the game that followed them was supposed to be the 3rd in the series, the latter three must comprise Disc Saga 2, but that of course means there must have been a game (or multiple, episodic games) that preceded them and made up Disc Saga 1.

Looking at the menu splash images for each game in that mobygames link (as well as some of the japanese characters actually typed as text on the respective pages), I matched the Japanese characters to the Disc Saga logos on the various Disc Station menus, and found out which discs have which games.

Disc Station 98 #11: Disc Saga: Iraisha wa Monster?
Disc Station 98 #12: Disc Saga: Nagisa no Baka Taishou
Disc Station 98 #13: Something to do with Disc Saga, unsure what it is - possibly a demo of the final episode? I can't match the characters of the subtitle to anything. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe it's a video or something.
Disc Station Vol. 1: Disc Saga: Yukemuri ni Kieta Bijotachi Yume no Naka e Rendezvous

I'm assuming that most of these are full games, or full episodes, rather than demos, because I don't think the games were released independently of these compilations, unlike Gensei Kitan: Disc Saga 3.

Anyway, there's more Disc Saga stuff on Disc Station 98 discs previous to the ones listed above. The games included in these issues use a different logo and font, which suggests to me they might be the episodes that make up Disc Saga 1. Disc Station 98 #06, #07 and #08 all include Disc Saga games. I have no idea what the subtitles of the first two translate to because I don't know the language, but the third subtitle is English, and reads "Tower of Muda."

So does anyone know what's up with Disc Saga? Am I right about this stuff? I'd test the games myself, but I haven't tried to get the emulator up and running yet, nor do I have any of these games yet, bar Disc Station Vol. 1.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 9:24 pm 

A place to start :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1481

PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 9:31 pm 

Ah, thanks. That pretty much answers everything.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2015, 10:03 pm 

Just for anyone who might be curious:

(I'm calling this group Disc Saga I...)

Disc Station 98 #05: Disc Saga: Immortality of the Dragon
Disc Station 98 #06: Disc Saga: Sleeping Treasure
Disc Station 98 #07: Disc Saga: Yakeyo Sword!
Disc Station 98 #08: Disc Saga - Extra Edition: Tower of Muda

(...and this group Disc Saga II)

Disc Station 98 #11: Disc Saga: Iraisha wa Monster?
Disc Station 98 #12: Disc Saga: Nagisa no Baka Taishou
Disc Station 98 #13: Disc Saga: Yukemuri ni Kieta Bijotachi Yume no Naka e Rendevous

Gensei Kitan: Disc Saga III

PostPosted: May 13th, 2015, 4:16 am 
I've also stumble upon this Disc Station wiki.
It has a great deal of useful information regarding (most of) the games released on DS, including some walkthroughs.

Since you went to the trouble of separating them in groups, I figured I'd add their respective pages too.

Quote:

As for Gensei Kitan, it also turned into its own series, also released on DS.
A bit off-topic, but here are the games:

Gensei Fuukyouden (sort of a spinoff. Released before Kitan DSIII itself due to a delay in its development)
Gensei Kitan Disc Saga III
Gensei Kaitouden (direct sequel of Kitan DSIII)
Gensei Torimonochou
Gensei Kaishingeki
Gensei Suikoden (the title which means something like Tale of the Drunk Tiger is a pun with the tale of Suikoden)
Gensei Kitan Gaiden Part 1 (both this and Final Part consist of a collection of interactive cg sequences)
Gensei Kitan Gaiden Final Part
Gensei Kitan Haiyuuki (spinoff. The title is also a pun with a piece of mahjong and the tale of Saiyuki, the one from Goku :))