Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 9:45 am 

Hi! As this is my first post, I would like to introduce myself: I am a developer of the original Xbox scene, although years ago I made my first videogame programming experiments with the PC Engine. I have always been fascinated by these Japanese machines since then.

Now, I am doing a port of the "Neko Project II" emulator to Xbox, and I am discovering the wonderfull PC-98, so... I finally decided to join your site. I am really excited about learning things from your forums, and trying to share everything that I can. :D

At this point, I would like to ask a little thing: as you know, a lot of PC-98 games have adult content, and other huge amount need Japanese knowledge to be played. I would like to add a warning message in my release, because a lot of Xbox users are parents that play videogames with their children, and they may be upset if they play random PC-98 games with them, without having verified if the games are suitable for all ages.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a list of games with these 2 requirements to recommend to test this emulator:

1) They can be played without Japanese knowledge (maybe they are in English, or maybe they are in Japanese but they can be played without much trouble).

2) They don't contain adult content (I have nothing against sex! I only want people to be warned about this).

Of course I know the http://www.pc98.org site, and it has an excellent list of "all ages" games, but most of them are in Japanese. So, at the moment I have not found much games with these requirements. Until now, I have found Columns, the English translations of the excellent Farland Story games, Carax'92, Jump Hero, Prince of Persia, Runners High... and nothing more. Well, I also found Rusty, but unfortunately I have not been able to make it run in Neko Project II (it seems to be an issue with the clock speed, but I am still debugging it).

If anyone could recommend me some more games with these requirements (no nudity, not much Japanese required), it would be very usefull for me, mainly because I could talk about these games to the beta testers of my port. That would help me a lot in the development of this port.

Maybe in the future I will ask more things (for example, related to this bug that makes impossible to run Rusty for me), but I think that for now, this post is already very long :) Also, if I can help in anything, do not hesitate to contact with me.
Thank you very much in advance!

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 11:01 am 

Hi and welcome.

Ben's screenshot database does have an erotic/non-erotic indicator, which should help.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 8:41 am 

peter_j wrote:
Hi and welcome.
Ben's screenshot database does have an erotic/non-erotic indicator, which should help.

Thank you very much, peter_j! It's really a good advice, because I can search by "Non-erotic" games, and it also has screenshots and it says which genre is each game. It is very usefull!! :D

It's a pity that in some games it is difficult to know if Japanese knowledge is required or not. I guess that it doesn't exist any site where I could search if a game needs Japanese skills... :(

Anyways, your idea has been very usefull, and I have found a couple of new games that can be usefull for beta testers, like "Chitty Chitty Train" (I have not tested it yet, but it seems to be a very interesting game). My goal is creating a small list of games like that.

Thanks again! :D

PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 11:16 am 

Ryo Cokey's site should be helpful http://www.pc98.org

hcf wrote:
My goal is creating a small list of games like that.

It's safe to say that it would mostly include puzzle and action games. I would start from there.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 1:09 pm 

Trickless wrote:
Ryo Cokey's site should be helpful http://www.pc98.org

hcf wrote:
My goal is creating a small list of games like that.

It's safe to say that it would mostly include puzzle and action games. I would start from there.

Thanks Trickless! Until now, I have not had luck with puzzle games (most of them have adult content), but I will keep searching :)

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 1:14 am 

Nob Yoshigahara no Puzzletopia is worth checking it out if you're looking for non-eroge puzzling. The contents of the in-game manual can be found, in approximate form, here: http://mukou.sakura.ne.jp/puzzletopia/index.html

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 10:12 am 

Don Rumata wrote:
Nob Yoshigahara no Puzzletopia is worth checking it out if you're looking for non-eroge puzzling. The contents of the in-game manual can be found, in approximate form, here: http://mukou.sakura.ne.jp/puzzletopia/index.html

Thank you very much, Don Rumata! That seems to be an ideal game to test the emulator! :D

@peter_j: I guess that you are not working in your PC98 database anymore, correct? It's a pity, it would be very usefull to quickly search games... :( I hope that in the future you find more time to continue that awesome project. :)

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 10:40 am 

hcf wrote:
@peter_j: I guess that you are not working in your PC98 database anymore, correct? It's a pity, it would be very usefull to quickly search games... :( I hope that in the future you find more time to continue that awesome project. :)

That database is an extract from Ben's ( also kobushi's ) database that is the basis of this site's screenshot database. I don't know how much work has been done in the past year or two, but if kobushi has an updated db I'll read it in. I never had any intention of trying to add to it or change it - more than one source changing versions of a database just results in a mess. That said, I use it very frequently.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 6:59 am 

peter_j wrote:
That database is an extract from Ben's ( also kobushi's ) database that is the basis of this site's screenshot database. I don't know how much work has been done in the past year or two, but if kobushi has an updated db I'll read it in. I never had any intention of trying to add to it or change it - more than one source changing versions of a database just results in a mess. That said, I use it very frequently.

Thanks for the clarification. Ben and Kobushi's database and pc98.org are being really usefull indeed for me! :D In fact, there is only one thing that I think that could be improved in those sites: a flag to inform if a game is playable by people like me (without Japanese knowledge) :wink: Anywho, speaking seriously, the screenshot usually gives a good hint about this matter.

As far as your program, looking at the screenshots that you posted, I think that it still added some nice features, like the ability to query the database offline (I mean, without accessing internet) and also I see in your screenshots that "Lode98 Lite" maybe could order games by a certain column (for example, by year) and that was also very interesting. So... it seems to be a very good and usefull work, and I still hope that in the future you find time and motivation to release it again. Congratulations! :D

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 7:51 am 

You must forgive someone old and confused - I thought it was still up on dropbox. I'll check tonight and put a link up for you if you like.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 8:23 am 

peter_j wrote:
You must forgive someone old and confused - I thought it was still up on dropbox. I'll check tonight and put a link up for you if you like.

That would be awesome, thank you very much! Anyways, maybe I am the one old and confused that is not able to find that dropbox link, if it is still online! :lol:
Thank you very much!

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 2:28 pm 

It is taking forever to upload - please be patient.

If anyone else wishes to try it please send me a private message.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2015, 8:44 am 

I am going to post this because maybe it can be usefull for other people in the future, searching for the same than me, so I am going to post here a list of some games for all ages and playable without Japanese knowledge. I am using them in my tests of my port of Neko Project II for Xbox.

Thank you very much to all the people who helped me and suggested games!!

Arkanoid
Car 2 Grand Prix
Carax'92
Chitty Chitty Train
Columns
Doom 1
Doom 2
Dragon Buster Ex-Plores
Drakkhen
Dungeon Master
Elvira - Mistress of the Dark
Farland Story 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 (English translations)
Galaga
Gaplus
Gods
Jump Hero
Kaien
Karateka
Kemesis
Lemmings
Mario Bros Special
Master of Monsters 2
Mety's Snow War
Mole Mole
Net Guardian
Popful Mail
Prince of Persia
Push'n Pop
Puzzletopia
Runners High
Rusty
Starglider 2
Touhou games

I must say that I have not been able to make some of these games run on my emulator (at least they don't run on my port, but I'm not sure if they can work in other Neko Project variants). For example Doom, Doom 2, the Touhou Project games, and Chitty Chitty Train (I was not able to start them!). Also, I found other games that had major graphical problems in this emulator like "Alone in the Dark" (I already tried to use the "Real Palettes" option, without luck) or "Karateka" (the screen is displayed twice and has some garbage). Please, if anyone has been able to play any of these games with Neko Project II (Doom, Doom 2, Alone in the Dark, Chitty Chitty Train, Tohou Project games, or Karateka), please let me know, because I am assuming that they don't work in the original emulator, but maybe it is a problem with my port or the way that I am trying to run it.

Besides, I have not been able to find a working image of "Starglider 2" and "Puzzletopia", but I'm positive that these games should be on the list, because they are obviously playable without Kapanese knowledge and I guess that they don't have adult content.

Finally, I want to say that I have been really amazed by the quality of some of the PC-98 games that I have seen. This system is amazing, its community is really nice, and I'm sure that it is going to be in my favorite list since now :)

PostPosted: May 12th, 2015, 3:18 pm 

I haven't tried it, but supposedly the T98 emulator works great with touhou games. Maybe the T stands for Touhou? I don't know. I recall Kyrandia 2 for Pc98 has english text, but I'm not 100% sure, the same goes for some Sierra Online games.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2015, 3:59 pm 

Doom and other titles are for the PC-9821, maybe that's a problem with the port? I would try all games with the Neo Kobe pack on PC first, since it contains various configs/versions of Nekoproject. Touhou games are definitely supposed to work with Nekoproject for example.

You can get Star Glider 2 here now, I've also included some ports of puzzle games for you to try (e.g. Klax).

http://gavitex.com/share/fo825u1a6