Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: September 4th, 2014, 10:02 pm 

Hi all,
is there anyone who tried to modify a PC-Engine pad in order to use it with NEC PC-9821?
This is the page of the project:

http://www.geocities.jp/wp_gopher/pc/98/keypad.html

I have either a ten-Keyboard either a PC.Engine pad but I have some doubt about the success of this modification.If there are no problems for the directions, how it would be possible to map 'Z' and 'X' keys to pad buttons if they don't exist on the ten-keyboard?

PostPosted: September 6th, 2014, 4:18 pm 

If there is no "z" or "x" keys on the ten key I don't see how you'll be able to map them to the pad. A keyboard encoder may be a better choice. Of course you would have to adapt the keyboard encoder to nec keyboard standard.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2014, 5:50 pm 

Hi and thanks for replying.Your reasoning is right. there are no 'Z' and 'X' keys on the ten keyboard but if you look better at picture on site you will see some wires from the 'I' and 'II' buttom of the PC-Engine pad PCB to the ten key PCB so the author of this project has mapped them (I don't know where though..).Sadly he didn't give any further explanation so his page is quite useless neither there is contact info
Sure, using a keyboard encoder will be fine as well use directly a NEC keyboard PCB (I don't know if it will fit in a joypad shell though..) but my knowledge in this field are limited.
I'm wondering if something can be done through serial port and using some TSR program like JOYEMU or similar.
Anyway, I know your friend SkyeWelse from NFG forum will send you his PC-98 programmable joypad in order to reproduce it so keep in touch.