Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 12:36 am 

Hi again! I was wondering...are there some PC-98 games that got ported to Windows systems besides some classic visual novels (True Love, Paradise Heights, etc.), because I'm interested if these games have a superior version (or inferior?).

For example, I know that Briganty got a Windows version, and while that version has better graphics and more voices...but there's NO HUMAN POSSIBLE WAY to get the voices working.

By the way, if some related topic was created elsewhere on this forum, please close this topic. Thanks.

PD: Still learning English, sorry...

PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Branmarker & Lunatic Dawn comes to my mind directly, but there are probably much more than that.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 12:08 am 

Lots. LOTS.

I prefer the older versions for the FM synth, but some games have subsantial remakes...
Ys I and II
Legend of Heroes IV
Dinosaur
Shizuku and Kizuato Renewal
Desire Kanzenban
EVE
many Alice Soft games
many elf games

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 2:28 am 

Also legend of heroes I and III.
Thexder was ported to win 95.
sorcerian

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 9:38 am 

I think most Falcom games can be more appropriately labeled remakes than ports. The differences in Dinosaur Resurrection veritably render the original obsolete.
Other than Falcom games, the only ones that come immediately to mind would be a Dragon Knight IV remake from (I think) 2007, and Ryuuki Denshou: Dragoon, which was remade for Windows 95 (I believe "Plus" was appended to the title), and that version was then ported to Playstation.
. . . and that just gave me an idea for another request. :P

Oh, and I think some of the Farland Stories may have gotten ports.
also also, I haven't verified this, so don't know any titles, but I was told that some Chinese and Korean games made for windows were ported to PC98 for their Japanese release.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 6:41 pm 

Lots of PC-88/98 Koei games wound up on Windows, either through rereleases of what I guess are the originals (Koei Teiban Series) or appropriate Windows releases for the time (actually I can't think of one of these at the moment... Sangokushi IV? Some mid-'90s Nobunaga?).

...Does Dinosaur: Resurrection let me use the FM Towns soundtrack (or even the 2203s for that matter)? Or or or or can this be hacked in? :3

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 1:57 pm 

Teitoku no Ketsudan 3 (P.T.O series) should be a Windows title, the western release of P.T.O. 2 also is supposed to need Windows 3x.
In the case of the Nobunaga series, early titles (2nd and 3rd, maybe more) were also upgraded and then released for consoles (Saturn and Ps1) as well as Windows. I suppose at least from the 5th or 6th on, the games were released regulary for Windows.

Systemsoft also made some releases originally for PC-98, eg. Master of Monsters 2 and Final, various Daisenryaku titles.

J.B Harold titles were also remade for Windows.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 2:05 pm 

Corpse Party.
Also on PSP.