Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 10:37 am 

PC Paroject was a doujin group that developed some games for the pc98. There are two known games they developed, their earlier one called Reise that was released in 1994 is already dumped.

This game is one of the more appealing doujin releases because its an overhead fantasy action game with nice graphics and overall quality.

Download file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/rbxizw

Screenshots: (From www.pc98.org)

After this PC Paroject released 'Elysium' for pc98 in 1996. The game was released through Takeru, here is the only known image from a 1996 issue of Takeru Press (full page scans available here: http://hiromsx.blog62.fc2.com/blog-category-5.html)

Its similar to Reise but now there is a simple RPG element added, and the game consists of 9 'scenarios' (Like 9 stages I guess). The game looks like it was quite high quality, and had a high price for a Takeru doujin release (1800 yen).

Action RPG's like this are awesome, so it would be great if the game could be found and preserved. Does anyone know what could be done to perhaps try and find the author?

Are there any Japanese people here that could help?

The only thing I found online was a reference to the game on this site: http://www012.upp.so-net.ne.jp/asabi/mdctrl/k_pmd.html. I'm not sure if the guy has the game or is just listing doujin games that use that sound method he's talking about.

So if anyone else is interested in this feel free to contribute in any way you can!

Last edited by Macaw on January 22nd, 2013, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 4:33 pm 
It's hard to gain information about this game through the Internet

but I found out the programmer's name and address at the end of the the file 'reise.txt.

2-194 Koufuudai Ichihara-city Chiba-prefecture
290-02,Japan
Nobuhiro Mizuno

but I have no idea if this guy is the same person who created 'Elysium',
and he is still living at same location.

However,action RPG,which is common to both games.
And the home-address can tell that he lives in a house not an apartment block.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 5:36 pm 

Someone should write to that address. Even if he no longer lives there, the act of doing so will be an adventure in itself.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 6:11 pm 

Several people turn up on a search for that name, including one related to Chiba:

Nobuhiro Mizuno
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Chiba University of Commerce
https://sites.google.com/site/nobuhiromizunoecon/

Although the timing looks out - a bit young.

Another works with robotics, which might be relevant.

Unless I have got it wrong as usual. ;)

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 6:38 pm 

You never know, the last guy we managed to track down was also a university professor lol

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 11:20 am 

Haha great info, who knows if the guy is still living in the same place after 17 years since Elysium was released :lol:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 11:55 am 

Macaw wrote:
Haha great info, who knows if the guy is still living in the same place after 17 years since Elysium was released :lol:

Do you think we might mail him? I'm quite happy to. You never know until you try.

Then again, having looked up Chiba - it is part of the "greater Tokyo district", so probably means nothing.

What we really need to do is to approach Brother, or whoever last owned Takeru, and see if they would hand over backups of all their stuff to a trusted third party like the Internet Archive. For historical preservation.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 2:48 pm 

peter_j wrote:
Do you think we might mail him? I'm quite happy to. You never know until you try.

I was hoping we could find a current email address of the guy, but it looks like 'PC Paroject' as a doujin group has been long abandoned, so if you think the only way of possibly contacting him is by mailing the old address then by all means try it out. Are you fluent in Japanese?

peter_j wrote:
What we really need to do is to approach Brother, or whoever last owned Takeru, and see if they would hand over backups of all their stuff to a trusted third party like the Internet Archive. For historical preservation.

Pretty much zero chance of this happening unfortunately. The Takeru system was a big commercial venture by a big company, they provided digital downloads of hundreds of doujins over the years. They likely no longer have any backups of any of those games, and more likely don't care at all. The only real chance of finding them is by either finding existing physical disks of the games, or by contacting the authors.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 3:41 pm 

Macaw wrote:

I was hoping we could find a current email address of the guy, but it looks like 'PC Paroject' as a doujin group has been long abandoned, so if you think the only way of possibly contacting him is by mailing the old address then by all means try it out. Are you fluent in Japanese?

Sadly zero Japanese. I was thinking of mailing the professor on the off chance it is he, or he knows who his namesake is. Any volunteers who can write Japanese?

Macaw wrote:
Pretty much zero chance of this happening unfortunately. The Takeru system was a big commercial venture by a big company, they provided digital downloads of hundreds of doujins over the years. They likely no longer have any backups of any of those games, and more likely don't care at all. The only real chance of finding them is by either finding existing physical disks of the games, or by contacting the authors.

I figure you are right, but I might dig around a bit.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2013, 1:14 am 
Fortunately,I have lived all my life in Japan since I was born.
So,I will write a mail to him by this address.
and if he is a creator of Elysium,I'll try to ask him to sell me the game and share it with us.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2013, 4:42 am 

Great stuff delicious! Let us know if you get any response. And thank you.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2013, 8:11 am 

delicious wrote:
Fortunately,I have lived all my life in Japan since I was born.
So,I will write a mail to him by this address.
and if he is a creator of Elysium,I'll try to ask him to sell me the game and share it with us.

Thank you Delicious, It will be exiting to see what happens!

I have been searching for a Takeru release copy of Elysium (any many other Takeru games) to appear on Yahoo Auctions Japan for years now with no success (Takeru releases barely ever appear for sale on auction) So hopefully contacting the game author directly can lead to some success!

PostPosted: January 21st, 2013, 9:52 am 

Thanks a lot for your precious help, delicious!

I like this adventurous side of retro gaming :D

PostPosted: January 21st, 2013, 2:59 pm 

Fantastic. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Document everything that happens, so if you have success, there'll be a diary detailing each step.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2013, 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

This thread is fantastic whatever the outcome. :D