Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 11:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: January 13th, 2013, 1:01 am 

As with most emulators they have specific formats for disk image that basically take a true raw image and append a header to it (similar to how SNES roms aren't usually just the actual cartridge data but also have a 512byte header applied by the game copier device itself) As such, Anex86 format harddrive images are actually not an "image" but rather an "anex86header+image". I would like to be able to convert the image from HDI (anex86 format) to IMG (raw format) harddrive image. I'm not sure if it applied other changes too (such as compression etc).

I already know of VFIC for converting PC98 floppy image formats, but am unaware if there is any utility designed for converting harddisk images. I hope so, because I would like to burn a particular game's bootable harddisk image to an actual harddrive, so I can test this PC I've got and see how PC-98 compatible it happens to be.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 10:32 am 

Why do you want to convert a HDD image into a raw image file (.IMG)? I mean... Is it possible to write that .IMG to a real HDD? :S

Probably you better format your PC-98 HDD using the PC-98 MS-DOS utilities first. Then simply copy the files inside that image to your real HDD.

For extracting the files inside the HDD image, use "DiskExplorer" (VFIC for FDD images): http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013937 ... dex_e.html

If you want the game or program to be autoexecutable when you power on the PC-98 computer, once you copied to the real HDD all the files, check the "autoexec.bat" file inside that HDD image. Copy and edit the lines inside the "autoexec.bat" to a boot floppy disk.

Sorry if I didn't understand your question and that's not what you are looking for... :?

PostPosted: January 15th, 2013, 1:33 pm 

NHC tool

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 5:34 am 

Thanks to the person above for that tool. But it's not quite what I had in mind. It converts it for use in popular PC emulators (such as Virtual PC, VMWare, VirtualBox, etc) but NOWHERE does it have a raw format. Each emulator specific format has a proprietary format (data arangement, header, footer, etc) and is NOT suitable for raw-writing the image to a real physical harddrive. I looked thouroughly at the available options, and found there is NOT EVEN A SINGLE ENTRY for a true "raw" image.

Please find me an HDI to IMG (raw image) converter. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 5:50 am 

UltimatePC98Fan wrote:

Would you like that with cheese?

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 9:57 am 

You don't need to convert the HD image to an IMG file, you can use a workaround.

1) Convert the HD image you have to a format suitable for a virtual machine
2) Boot up the virtual machine with a linux distro
3) Make a raw copy of the data using the dd command ( a very useful page is here )
4) Copy the raw data file out of the virtual machine
5) Write the raw data on the HD you've chosen

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 4:03 pm 

UltimatePC98Fan wrote:
Thanks to the person above for that tool. But it's not quite what I had in mind. It converts it for use in popular PC emulators (such as Virtual PC, VMWare, VirtualBox, etc) but NOWHERE does it have a raw format. Each emulator specific format has a proprietary format (data arangement, header, footer, etc) and is NOT suitable for raw-writing the image to a real physical harddrive. I looked thouroughly at the available options, and found there is NOT EVEN A SINGLE ENTRY for a true "raw" image.

May I ask *why* you need to write an image to a physical HDD, instead of just transferring the files?