Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: FIM files / FIVEC
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2022, 9:32 pm 

Ok, still working on including a few of the more obscure file formats: FIM and FIX to be specific. FIX appears to have variable-length track and/or sector headers, so that one might take a bit longer.

FIM appears to be a pretty simple format with a minimal header. Too minimal, actually... as far as I can tell, despite having 256 byte headers in general, most of that is comment, and it doesn't actually include sufficient disk geometry info. It appears to open with a byte disk identifier (So far, all either 0x01 or 0x02).

Type 0x01: Format (C/H/S/N) 77/2/8/1024
Type 0x02: 77/2/26/256

The latter of which is kind of strange... that's not .HDB, because that's slightly smaller due to having smaller sectors on the first cylinder. If you use the "BKDSK" setting on VFIC, it'll dump it into a *.H01 file. If you convert it to NFD using VFIC, you can see clearly the conversion is correct (The test image I tried had a boot sector that wouldn't fit on a 128 byte sector, fortunately)

Anyway, does anyone have any FIM files that start with a byte other than 0x01 or 0x02?

(Side note: Using the DiskID Byte from DCU/DCP files, the 0x01 is the same format as it is in FIM... but the 0x02 disk type would map to 0x21. I guess no one was terribly consistent back then.)