Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently May 16th, 2024, 10:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 6:18 pm 

I want to make a list of PC-9801 and PC-9821 games translated to occidental languages (english, spanish, french, italian, portuguese, german, ...).
In this list I want to include too those games that let you select english language (or another one) instead of japanese (official bilingual games).
Please, let us know if there is any other game that should be in this list. Thank you.
By now, I'm aware of the existence of these translations:

-Farland Story (PC-9801) <---- English
-Farland Story 2 (PC-9801) <---- English
-Farland Story 3 (PC-9801) <---- English
-Farland Story 4 (PC-9801) <---- English
-Farland Story 5 (PC-9801) <---- English
-Farland Story 6 (PC-9801) <---- English
-Marble Cooking (PC-9801) <---- English
-Touhou Project 1: Highly Responsive to Prayers (PC-9801) <---- English
-The Black Onyx (PC-9801) <---- English
-Yugekitai: Saikyoushin Fukkatsu no Maki (PC-9801) <---- English
-Yugekitai Kakuto Hen 1: Saikyou Kami Fukkatsu Yuki Kan (PC-9801) <---- English
-Sanshimai (Three Sisters' Story) (PC-9801) <---- English
-Ultima VIII (PC-9821) <---- English

-4D Boxing <------- Official english game
-4D Driving <------- Official english game
-Relics <------- Official english game (but the intro and the ending are in japanese)

-Drakkhen (PC-9801) <------ Official multilingual game (Japanese/French/English/German/Italian)
-Dragon Lore (PC-9821 CD) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Emit - Vol.1 (PC-9821 CD) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Emit - Vol.2 (PC-9821 CD) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Emit - Vol.3 (PC-9821 CD) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Police Quest II (PC-9801) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Space Quest IV (PC-9801) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Heroes of the Lance (PC-9801) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Wizardry (PC-9801) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Wizardry 2 (PC-9801) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Wizardry 3 (PC-9801) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Wizardry V (PC-9801) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-Castle of Dr. Brain (PC-9801) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-King's Quest V (PC-9801) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)
-SimCity (PC-9801) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)

-Slayers (PC-9801) <----- Translation to english not finished yet
-Illusion City (PC-9801) <----- Translation to english not finished yet
-Dragon Knight (PC-9801) <----- Translation to english not finished yet

Last edited by Katsura82 on August 13th, 2012, 2:04 am, edited 13 times in total.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 10:09 pm 

You got my attention, a list with official bilingual games was something I wanted since a long time :)

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 10:37 pm 

Katsura82 wrote:
-Corpse Party (PC-9801) <---- English

Was that actually released?

Quote:
-Dragon Lore (PC-9821 CD) <------- Official bilingual game (Japanese/English)

That's news to me. Do you have it? If yes, will you share it please?

Also, my contribution:
- 4D Boxing (playable in english)
- 4D Driving (playable in english)
- Heroes of the Lance (official bilingual)
- Wizardry (official bilingual)
- Wizardry 2 (official bilingual)
- Wizardry 3 (official bilingual)
- Wizardry V (official bilingual)
- Castle of Dr. Brain (official bilingual)
- King's Quest V (official bilingual)
- Ultima VIII (translated to english)
- Police Quest II (official bilingual)
- Space Quest IV (official bilingual)
- Yugekitai: Saikyoushin Fukkatsu no Maki (translated to english)
- Yugekitai Kakuto-hen ~ Saikyou Kami Fukkatsu Yuki Kan ~ (translated to english)

That's all I know about and have.

Edit: It also looks like Emit Vol. 1-3 is bilingual.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 11:01 pm 

You are right cpt. Misumaru Tenchi . I forgot to include Emit games and many others (my memory...). xDD Thanks. :D
*Updating list...*

Dragon Lore was posted here not many months ago. If the link is dead, I will re-upload it. No problem.

Corpse Party 100% translated to english can be found here http://www.memoriesoffear.com/games_corpsepartypc98/index.html . I have not checked yet if it really works in real PC-98 hardware. Tomorrow I'll check that, and if it works, I will build a .HDI file from it for playing with emulators.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 11:13 pm 

Katsura82 wrote:
You are right cpt. Misumaru Tenchi . I forgot to include Emit games and many others (my memory...). xDD Thanks. :D

I forgot about Black Onyx which I also have. But now I see Genesis on your list and that's another news to me. Could you upload it please?

Quote:
Dragon Lore was posted here not many months ago. If the link is dead, I will re-upload it. No problem.

You're right, I'm downloading it now. Thanks for the hint.

Quote:
Corpse Party 100% translated to english can be found here http://www.memoriesoffear.com/games_corpsepartypc98/index.html.

So you were talking about this Windows XP remake, fortunately I have it.

Quote:
I have not checked yet if it really works in real PC-98 hardware. Tomorrow I'll check that, and if it works, I will build a .HDI file from it for playing with emulators.

That would be nice too. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by cpt. Misumaru Tenchi on August 8th, 2012, 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 11:22 pm 

Quote:
So you were talking about this Windows XP remake, fortunately I have it.

Is that a remake? Does it have changes in graphics? >_< I thought it was the same PC-98 game but with the RPG Maker program adapted for running under a PC with Windows XP. Well, I will check out...

About "Ultima VIII" for PC-9821... I can't find anything. When was translated? Do you have the patch or the game already patched?

And about "4D Boxing" and "4D Driving"... I don't know if it's correct to include them in the list if they are originally only playable in english, but ok, I will include them. :)

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 11:37 pm 

Katsura82 wrote:
Is that a remake?

Looks like it really is...

Quote:
Does it have changes in graphics? >_<

I haven't played it yet, but it looks a little different. Take a look at the screenshots on the site with translation which you posted. On the left there's an original version and on the right there's already translated remake.

Quote:
About "Ultima VIII" for PC-9821... I can't find anything. When was translated? Do you have the patch or the game already patched?

You can find the patch here. And here's the already patched HDI file.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 12:24 am 

Well... I've noticed I had already the patches for Ultima VIII downloaded time ago, but forget to apply them. ^^U
Thank you very much for those links and the .HDI already patched!! :D Does that .HDI include the "speech patch" too?

Oh my... You are right... That "Corpse Party" for running under Windows XP is a remake (like the comercial PSP one) and not a conversion. (...) Sorry, I didn't check the pictures (even it is clearly stated: "Here are the screenshots showing the differences between the original PC-98 version [Left] to the RPG Tkool XP version [Right]." ) u_u Anyway, as I said, I will check if that remake works under a PC-98 too.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 12:28 am 

Katsura82 wrote:
Thank you very much for those links and the .HDI already patched!! :D

My pleasure. Hoping you might upload english version of Genesis or Emit in return. :P

Quote:
Does that .HDI include the "speech patch" too?

Sure thing.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 2:09 pm 

I'm very sorry cpt. Misumaru Tenchi. I was wrong. There is no translation done for the PC-9801 version of Genesis (Square). The translation patch only exist for the PC-8801 version of the game. Sorry for the mistake. *Deleting it from the list...*

About "Corpse Party"... I'm trying to extract the english dialogs from the "-Rebuilt version-" and then write them to the original PC-98 game. The problem is they are coded in a different way. Maybe the translators could help if we can contact them. I wonder why they didn't apply that translation to the original PC-98 version too... <<-Actually, the rebuilt is the exactly copy of the original, just translated and everyone can play it. (...) The rebuilt version, as I already said, is the same think of the 98 one, just with better graphics. Terya>>

Last edited by Katsura82 on August 8th, 2012, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 2:44 pm 

No problem at all - I have that translated PC-88 version so it's not a big loss (they both look almost the same). I thought it might be the case and that's why I was so concerned to check it out. What's more important, your list became error free now and that's an actual profit in this situation. :)
It would be nice to see the original PC-98 version of Corpse Party playable in english one day...

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 11:27 pm 

SimCity is billingual as well. Haven't checked the other Sim games, in City you need to do that through Japanese options if I remember right.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 9:06 am 

Ok, it seems that "Corpse Party -Rebuilt-", the remake of "Corpse Party" that has been translated to english a few months ago, doesn't work on PC-98 computers. I tried to use Dante98, Dante98II and old RPG Makers on my PC-9821 with Windows '98 Second Edition installed but it shows a error "RGSS-RTP Standard not found". Then, I tried installing the RPG tkool XP (for XP, Vista and 7) that comes with the translated game. All seems to install ok but when I try to run the game, I get this error screen: http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/710/p8090152resized.jpg. I tried to install the game on a old PC/AT with Windows '98 Second Edition as well. It shows two errors: 1)I need to use 256 colours mode (with that old computer I only can select a maximum of 16 colours) 2)"DirectX 8.0 or higher not installed". The PC-9821 can show 256 colours without problem but... it's imposible to install on it (at least officially) a DirectX beyond version 6 (6 is the version that comes with Windows SE, the last Windows available for the PC-98 series), so that error screen I get on the PC-9821 maybe is for not having DirectX 8.0 or higher. There is an unofficial update for using DirectX 8.0 for PC-98 (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA007918/kinkoprg.htm) but it may crash and I don't want to damage my Windows installation and lost all I have in the HDD (and it seems that update is an "online update" that only can be launched from a PC-9821 connected to the internet, and mine is not). I can't confirm if it will work on PC/AT computers with Windows 98 SE, DirectX 8.0 and a video card capable of showing 256 colours mode. Maybe yes, maybe not. Maybe all that will not be sufficient and it will run only under Windows XP, 2000 and others beyond, and never under Windows 98 S.E., no matter if it's a PC-9821 or a PC/AT (like is stated here: http://tkool.jp/products/rpgxp/index.html ).

Anyway... the important thing is that the original Corpse Party (the not translated one) works perfectly on my NEC PC-9821. No matter if I run it from pure MS-DOS (using the files I extracted from a .HDI I found) or from Windows 98 S.E. using the extracted files of the original release in its original ".exe" format distribution (in this case, after decompressing the files from the ".exe", the game has to be launched with Dante98II -D2Win version 0.75- program).
This game is cool. It's really a shame nobody has injected the finished translation on it yet, and I don't know how to do that (the original game for PC-98 use ".dat" format for the files and the remake use ".rxdata" format and others, and the name for all the files have been changed completely). Only the translators from the "memories of fear" website could help... :(
*Deleting it from the list...*

Thank you Starscream the 2nd for confirming that, al least, the first SimCity is a bilingual game. :)

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 4:23 pm 

Katsura82 wrote:
Thank you Starscream the 2nd for confirming that, al least, the first SimCity is a bilingual game. :)

Copy that - thanks for the info, I overlooked it. This is quite interesting: I have just checked the X68k version and it's not bilingual, it misses the first menu with language selection which PC-98 version has.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2012, 12:39 pm 

Drakkhen apparently contains 5 languages :shock:
Far Side Moon looks interesting, not fully in English, but there is so much making me want to check it out to see if that's enough.